GTA rear anti roll bar bushes - Master van??

A place to showcase your pride and joy

Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:28 pm

Gloucestershire

GTA rear anti roll bar bushes - Master van??

Postby Pjr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:43 pm

I’m in need of a rear bush and Stephen is on the case looking for a used one for me. However, being experimental, I ordered a Renault Master van rear bush which looked visually similar.

Stephen warned me that R5 bushes look similar but have no steel reinforcing band and would therefore soon fail (unless reinforced with a metal band). However, the Master bush is steel reinforced but (to my eyes) looks huge!

I’ve just pulled off the rear wheel and offered-up the bush.....difficult to tell, but not looking as huge as it did at first! So out came the vernier calliper......

On the plus side
- the anti roll bar diameter is very slightly larger than the hole in the bush. They should be a snug interference fit
- the metal tube is the same external diameter as the original
- the overall size looks like it might work

On the down side
- the metal tube has a different front/back offset to the original, but it might still work with washers.
- the metal tube internal diameter looks larger than the through-bolt. Could be a trick of perspective. Not sure without a trial fitting.

Here are some photos alongside a 20p piece for scale. Has anyone made these fit?

I will report progress at the weekend.....TBC

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Re: GTA rear anti roll bar bushes - Master van??

Postby Pjr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:11 pm

Doh!

Just been out in the rain and removed the offending arb bush.

Sadly, the bore of the metal tube is slightly narrower than the van one (probably too small to sleeve) and the overall dimensions are very different.

Back to the drawing board......

Phil
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:59 pm

....and here are the correct ones.

They seem to have the internal steel reinforcement so hopefully they will last ok.

I’ve read a couple of passing comments suggesting this is not a pleasant job. Are there any hints/tips? I have red rubber grease and can heat the bush in hot water beforehand. Beyond that I have no ideas.

The clip and washer arrangement looks odd. Can anyone describe how that works please?

Many thanks in advance
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:00 pm

No tips on fitting..sorry, but where did you get them from?
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:43 am

Simon Auto, although Stephen Dell has at least one as well.

Phil
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:04 am

In the good old days me and Clee did mine in my garage by lubing up each bush and then lowering the car onto them using the cars weight.

It's quite fiddly to say the least and you have to be very careful. Undo the rear anti roll bar and point it downwards with the car jacked up and rear wheels removed.

Then you need one person to be on jack duty and the other to make sure the new bush goes onto the end of the bar.

Have you got new clips as well that lock the bush in place on the bar? Not that it would go anywhere.

Heath Robinson approach hope it makes sense?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:41 am

I like your style! One bush seems to be fine, so I was hoping to leave that attached and just easily slip the new bush only the end of the bar without breaking into sweat....Hmmm, sounds like i need a new plan.

I do have new clips for the end, but not inspected the bar to see how it all attaches. Im assuming the bar has lugs on it which the new washer thingy can pass over owing to the two cut-outs and then the wire clip is fed in to stop the washer being able to slip back off?
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:41 pm

Yes washer over the two lugs, rotate and then spring clip to retain
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:03 pm

If it's a Simon Auto it's most likely the weaker version without the outer moulded-over steel ...This makes them far easier to fit so not all bad. I have fitted these and they are OK but won't last as long as the others. Top tip ...Get a couple of good quality jubilee clips and use them to strap around the drop-link.
no avatar
User

Pjr

Rank

Non Member

Gloucestershire

Postby Pjr » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:29 am

Clee,

I did take a look at the construction, having been in discussions with Stephen. There appears to be a steel band within the rubber a few mm under the surface, which can been seen/felt at a few points where there are deliberate manufacturing voids. However, there is no external band of any sort. If i deform the outer rubber with something like a screwdriver, you can see that the deformation stops dead at the point where the buried band seems to be.

Nonetheless, I will do as you say and get a couple of wide jubilee clips and reinforce the bush - can't hurt even if they are reinforced!

• Advertisement