Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Condensation inside Distributor Cap

Postby Bazzer501 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Hi all,

I was thinking ...as you do about condensation that accumulates inside the Distributor Caps on both the GTA and A610. I always use a Bosch Cap & Rotor Arm and my Distributor Cap and Rotor Arm were last changed less than 6,000 miles or 15 months ago.
When these were last checked on my A610 due to a running issue all of the 6 contacts and the central contact were green and corroded and the inside of the cap was covered in condensation, due no doubt to the heating and cooling off of the engine when the car is used.

I was wondering if anyone had thoughtof, or tried drilling a drain hole at the base of the cap to vent any moisture and condensation in the cap to reduce or hopefully stop the condensation happening so has anyone tried that and what were the results...?
These parts aren't that cheap so any way of extending their life and reliability would be of help to us all...!

Cheers, Barry.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: Condensation inside Distributor Cap

Postby stephendell » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:54 pm

Matt Silver had exactly the same problem on his GTA turbo which uses the same parts.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

jagcat12

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Re: Condensation in Distributor Cap

Postby jagcat12 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Hi all

I to am plagued by the condensation problem and also have a V12 Jaguar owned for 20 years and never had any condensation problems ever so decided to investigate further and found that firstly there is a gasket between cap and body also two small bore rubber pipes attached to the body of distributor one which is open to air with a small filter on the end, and the other to the extra air valve
Looks like it would draw fresh air through the distributor when running. According to the V12 forum this has The effect of clearing the ozone gas caused by sparking which is what corrodes the contacts and must also draw out any moisture accumulated
attached is a diagram of set up. Probably could be done but beyond my capabilities .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement