Racing- counting the costs

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Racing- counting the costs

Postby eastlmark » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:53 pm

Thinking of going racing? want to know the costs?

We have just finished a season with CSCC, racing on top notch circuits, all 40 minute races with 30 minute practice sessions.

Entry fee's: 6 events £2280.00
test days: 2 £474.00
Fuel (race car) £463.58 (does not include van fuel)
Tyres 4 £643.83 (does not include tyres we already had and several wet sessions/races with very little wear
on our "wet" tyres- had these been all dry I would think we would have needed another 4)
Other spares purchased (not all fitted): £2000.00 (this included 2 new wheels to make a set up and 4 brake callipers due to bleed nipples issues- old one have been repaired and can be used again.

Damage repair: £0.00!! thanks guys
failures: 1x aux belt £40.43
Oil gearbox and engine: £100.00 (had some with car when purchased)
Servicing set up carried out elsewhere £1070.50 (not including hours put in by myself)

Obviously, need a car and trailer first and does not include any wear and tear and hours on the car. Tools and pit equipment.

Go racing guys!

x85 cadwell.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

SwagSupercarsDad

Rank

Non Member

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Re: Racing- counting the costs

Postby SwagSupercarsDad » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks, Mark. That's really interesting. We wondered what it cost to race your Clio. Very lucky to have got through 6 races with no collision damage though :)
... with a Little ::Y ::E ::L ::L ::O ::W
::S ::P ::I ::D ::E ::R - and that was nice! :D
no avatar
User

andy97

Rank

Non Member

Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Postby andy97 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:49 am

SwagSupercarsDad wrote:Thanks, Mark. That's really interesting. We wondered what it cost to race your Clio. Very lucky to have got through 6 races with no collision damage though :)

Very good driving standards in cscc. Accidents aren't unknown, of course, but are relatively rare across all their series.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:59 am

Gentleman racing, rather than whacking wing mirrors.

More akin to club motorsport where the aim is to go out and have fun with your car ........ rather than throwing everything into the first overtaking opportunity to be seen in front of you.

Well done mark and guys.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:55 pm

simontaylor wrote:Gentleman racing, rather than whacking wing mirrors.

More akin to club motorsport where the aim is to go out and have fun with your car ........ rather than throwing everything into the first overtaking opportunity to be seen in front of you.

Well done mark and guys.

Things could have been very different... I recall Phil Gardner and I at the pre season test day watching Riku heading backwards towards the barrier on wet grass at Coram... could have easily been season over before it even began.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:58 pm

eastlmark wrote:Thinking of going racing? want to know the costs?

We have just finished a season with CSCC, racing on top notch circuits, all 40 minute races with 30 minute practice sessions.

Entry fee's: 6 events £2280.00
test days: 2 £474.00
Fuel (race car) £463.58 (does not include van fuel)
Tyres 4 £643.83 (does not include tyres we already had and several wet sessions/races with very little wear
on our "wet" tyres- had these been all dry I would think we would have needed another 4)
Other spares purchased (not all fitted): £2000.00 (this included 2 new wheels to make a set up and 4 brake callipers due to bleed nipples issues- old one have been repaired and can be used again.

Damage repair: £0.00!! thanks guys
failures: 1x aux belt £40.43
Oil gearbox and engine: £100.00 (had some with car when purchased)
Servicing set up carried out elsewhere £1070.50 (not including hours put in by myself)

Obviously, need a car and trailer first and does not include any wear and tear and hours on the car. Tools and pit equipment.

Go racing guys!

x85 cadwell.jpg

should add..... we won the series overall!
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:42 pm

Another season done and another championship won... (TBC, Class E Quaife Modified Saloons)

Firstly need to say what a massive learning exercise this has been for me, for someone who found learning new stuff later in life a bit of a challenge, this has been a bonus and a great experience. I have carried out work I never would have undertaken before and its thanks to advice and encouragement of some professionals in other teams that has given me the confidence to do so. For that alone it has been worth every penny.

So to costs for this season.....

Entry fees: 8 events 14 races in total: £2250.00
Test days: £0.00 a luxury we have had to do without
Fuel (race car) £307.65
Tyres purchased in season: 6 x slick £1620.00 (of which we are left with one unused and 2 having done 2 races only) We had no wet races this year (apart from one which we had slicks on!) but ran 2 races on our old Direzza 1b tyres left over from last season.
Spares/ purchased: £1613.27
Damage repair: £225.00 ( full cosmetic repair and re paint yet to be completed- car looking a lot less tidy then last season, will need a re paint repair and tidy up)
Failures: Exhaust Manifold welding repair £40.00
Oil: £54.44 (engine and gear oil still using last seasons stock so just one batch of gear oil purchased)
Servicing/ set up carried out elsewhere: £0.00! (Thanks to John Miles Tyres for not charging for the many tyre swaps during the year.)
Hours put in by myself......... Loads!
Equipment/ tools purchased (mainly set up equipment so a long term asset) £500.00

My spread sheet shows £6443.04 for the year (some of the set up equipment was cash second hand so not included). Can deduct contributions from Riku to the entry fee's and Sponsorship from Eurolet which in total knock about £2000.00 off the total.
Obviously this does not include vehicle fuel getting too and from the circuits but this was reduced this year by only visiting local circuits (Brands and Snetterton only).

Hope this might be useful info for someone.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:28 pm

Like all "hobbies", you dont make money, you only spend/invest it.
A great Result for the year though.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A

• Advertisement