RAOC super team

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Re: RAOC super team

Postby eastlmark » Sun May 01, 2016 5:20 pm

Silverstone then.... Testing on Friday, arrived at a lovely sunny Silverstone but things went wrong as soon as I jumped out of the van. First, after having met the waiting Phil and chatting about the great hassle free journey on the way up we walked around the other side of the trailer and saw this:
IMG_2138.JPG

God knows when it happened! No change the way the trailer handled at any point in the journey and no franticly waving drivers on the road either. So next to unload the race car and a caught strap caused a few issues so I removed the wheel to see what the strap was caught on only to cross thread a wheel nut refitting it..... And not to mention the wind, direct from the arctic and blowing across relentlessly for most of the day. Otherwise a nice day with just a brief hint of a shower while we were eating lunch inside.

Phil was out first... first time at the circuit so he needed track time and got plenty. Pretty much a full race distance on the first stint and he seemed to be enjoying himself in the company of GT3 Astons, a Porsche 935, supertourers from the past and the present, Radicals and to cap it all a Renault RS01 in menacing virgin black carbon fibre hunting him down.
Ricky got the next session time as well and set some fast times and a couple of practice pit stops/driver changes completed the day.
Saturday, race day then dawned bright and blue and thankfully the wind had subsided and we were joined by Rob and Simon, as ever helpful supporters. Although Rob did turn up in disguise so none of us recognised him!
Qualifying then and Phil out first to get his laps in before handing over to Ricky to set the grid time. Power circuit this one so not much chance of any front running, but a 1.07.5 got us 25th on a grid of 39, outpacing a Ferrari 355. This championship has really stepped up a gear this year, lots of super power BMW's demonstrated by last years race when a similar time would have gained a 16th place on the grid. To put into context, the tin tops race today, for similar cars to us but with modified engines (no Sequential box's though) Riku's time would have been 4th fastest.
So, qualifying done, sit back and relax till race time? No chance. The clouds were rolling in and a tense 2 hours or so observing the clouds and distant rain falling that were missing us until a sudden wind change and with 45 minutes till race time a torrential, icy downpour that lasted around 20 minutes and soaked everything. Big decision then, we have some "rain" tyres for standing water that will tear up if the track dried or we run the Dirreza's that will cope with wet track but not standing water. Phil was designated starting driver for the first time ever so the decision was his and he went with the full wet option the safe decision. Thanks to Simon and Rob for a hasty change we sent the car off and then watched steam from he track such was the sudden heatwave......
In hindsight I think it was still the correct decision as the track was streaming wet at the start and the chances are we would have gone off and not finished at all. In the event all the slower Puma's got past us and Phil has reported never having seen so many revolving cars in his life. By the time of our pitstop and driver change there was a definite dry line but had we changed tyres in the pit we would have lost maybe 3/4 laps so we had to stick with the plan. Riku got into the 1.12's by the end but the damage was done, we finished a safe 23rd. Our class opposition though had major issues which is a shame as they put a lot of work into their Lotus and we felt a bit subdued by taking the trophy and class win.
Should have some photos and videos soon.

Next up Brands Hatch, June 4th.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed May 11, 2016 5:10 pm

video of the Silverstone race here, Watch Phil struggle with the wet, the sun and the Puma's!

https://youtu.be/XSpEWmx-RjM
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Tue May 31, 2016 2:14 pm

Brands Hatch this Sunday, 5th June. Our race is first on the bill (13.55)in the afternoon so no need to stand around waiting all afternoon. Although we may also be doing the Open race at the end of the day, will decide before the weekend.
No spare free tickets as yet, but an alternative Bromley for those interested in a bit more action with their cars.
We have the luxury of a pit garage this time.
User

RobS

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:02 am

Rugeley, Staffordshire

Postby RobS » Tue May 31, 2016 3:55 pm

Good luck to the team Mark - sorry Brands is too far for me & I'm at a show in Cheshire this weekend.

Maybe later in the season, especially if you decide to do Donington
'82 R5 Alpine Turbo, '98 Fiat Barchetta, '97 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo, '04 Subaru Forester XT
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue May 31, 2016 4:53 pm

eastlmark wrote:No spare free tickets as yet, but an alternative Bromley for those interested in a bit more action with their cars

What do you mean! Can you not cope with the excitement of Bromley. Derek Bell chose it over Brands lol
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Tue May 31, 2016 5:56 pm

And for even more action, I will be even further away than Brands.
Abingdon CAR-nival has 2 sprints on Saturday and a Rally on Sunday, includes camping, Hog roast, Beer tent and 2 comedians.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Tue May 31, 2016 6:06 pm

simontaylor wrote: and 2 comedians.

Who's your support act ?
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Tue May 31, 2016 8:59 pm

Stevie Cole and Colin Gray.
I am sure they will be very funny after a few beers.
So funny that one probably wont recall any of their gags.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:25 pm

Might have 1 spare for Sunday if needed. either collect or can poss leave on gate.
User

jules

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 pm

Wrotham

Postby jules » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:14 pm

Hey Mark..I'll try and drop by to watch with Edward.... Hopefully see you Sunday.....
User

jules

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:32 pm

Wrotham

Postby jules » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:19 pm

Great to see the 'super team' in action today at Brands....Excellent race chaps on a perfectly sunny Brands day. Thanks for letting Edward wear your racing gear Riku...it made his weekend ;-)

I hope you enjoy this clip of the action...we even managed to get Simon's good side ;-)

https://youtu.be/VJIiP9oldNc
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:03 am

thanks for popping by. Good to see some new faces turn up at a race. interesting vid as I never really get to see a pit stop in action like that. Perhaps next time we should set up a camera facing the pit road from above.

We finished 17th out of 28 cars in the end, safety car near the end stopped us progressing any further so 2nd in class this time.
Thanks as usual to Simon Gamblen for his help.

Nice also to see and meet more of the Gardener family.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:21 am

fastest qualifying lap (well 3rd fastest really but the faster 2 were taken away from us for exceeding track limits) video.

https://youtu.be/MuA5YMsLzfk
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:38 pm

race highlights now uploaded, worth watching, his best video yet, despite Simons best efforts :wave

https://youtu.be/bOB90kSKEf0
no avatar
User

TONY LAW

Rank

Non Member

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Essex

Postby TONY LAW » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:42 pm

Hey we'll done lads, great video. Keep them coming.Cheers Tony
PreviousNext

• Advertisement