Curborough Saturday October 4th

Competion events, results and regulations.

Moderators: eastlmark, simontaylor, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:50 pm

East London

Curborough Saturday October 4th

Postby eastlmark » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:36 pm

Ricky will be sprinting the Clio cup racer at Curborough on Saturday, October 4th.

Maybe a chance for you northern and midland members to pop along and see what sprinting is all about. No pass needed, if anyone asks say you are with Ricky Garner, car 40.
Pete Ellens also out in his A110.

http://www.curborough.com/
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Re: Curborough Saturday October 4th

Postby eastlmark » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:28 pm

first, what a great venue Curborough is. Great for spectating as well which is a rarity in the sprint world. Only down side is it all runs a bit slow given there is only 1 car on track at a time but I guess the entry size is limited to account for this.

We were greeted by heavy rain in the morning and the prospect of it not drying up all day meant a miserable mood settled in the paddock...except for us! Knowing how good our Michelin wets are and having a car that is great in the wet we knew anything could be possible.
Had a large class to compete against as well, a classic Alfa, a Golf GTi, Pete Ellens A110 and the surprise of the day was the ex Steve Waudby championship winning mk 1 Clio beautifully restored into Harlow Motorsport colours.
IMG_1313.JPG

1st Wet practice then and Ricky under strict instructions to take it easy and learn the track.....71.66 3rd fastest overall & 102mph across the finish line!
2nd practice, raining even harder now and he takes another second off despite lifting to finish at only 87 mph after I told him off. Still 3rd fastest overall and 3 seconds faster than the other Clio.
lunch then and the sad sight of Pete Ellens packing up and leaving for home having, had enough of the conditions and his cardboard timing strut just not being up to it....funny enough at that moment it stopped raining.... and the sun came out! Everyone seems happy about this except us. My big mistake was to underestimate just how fast the track would dry and sent Ricky out on the wets but now the track was ready for slicks. Caught out then by this he put in a first timed run of 65.81... could have been a lot better had we changed tyres but the other Clio was still 1.5 seconds away with one more run to go
Now with 888's on for the first time today it was another learning experience for him and he pushed it just too far, spinning on the right -left on the first lap. The other Clio then had it all to himself but only did a 66.07 (and an impressive 111mph over the line) meaning Ricky's first timed run was the class winner ....set on a dry track on full race wets! good for 16th overall out of 60 odd cars. We will never know how quick that second run could have been.
IMG_1312.JPG

1st timed run (on the wets)
http://youtu.be/OotwiNxATfU
2nd time run spin:
http://youtu.be/6ePKNBT_0vo

spin again from the outside
http://youtu.be/RZAiVva0n24?list=UUYPT3 ... RNFLKjW-hQ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
never thought I would want a list but now find myself needing one just to remind me: Clio V6 230, 5 gt turbo, 5 Gordini turbo, Megane RS 300 Trophy.
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:47 pm

eastlmark wrote:first, what a great venue Curborough is. Great for spectating as well which is a rarity in the sprint world. Only down side is it all runs a bit slow given there is only 1 car on track at a time but I guess the entry size is limited to account for this.

a tour of the roundabout down the road is longer than the circuit bro..... its well small there.

nice clio!
no avatar
User

eastlmark

Rank

Non Member

East London

Postby eastlmark » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:57 pm

andyh877 wrote:
eastlmark wrote:first, what a great venue Curborough is. Great for spectating as well which is a rarity in the sprint world. Only down side is it all runs a bit slow given there is only 1 car on track at a time but I guess the entry size is limited to account for this.

a tour of the roundabout down the road is longer than the circuit bro..... its well small there.

nice clio!

2 laps though makes it pretty much the same as most airfield sprint courses.

• Advertisement