User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:41 am

Birmingham

Starter motor GTA atmo

Postby AndyClark » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:06 pm

I think my starter motor needs replacing. From what I can see of the one on the car it is a Valeo (09 100 j8). I can't see the number clearly, so I guess this number is incomplete, or I can't read it properly.

I would like a Valeo one, as I guess that was the original fitment. I have been able to find these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALEO-Starte ... rk:17:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VALEO-STARTE ... 0505.m3226

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Andy
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: Starter motor GTA atmo

Postby stephendell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:11 am

The difference between the atmo and turbo starter motors is that the atmo motor has an extra switched connector so you can identify the correct one from two spade terminals in addition to the bolt on live.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
User

johnb

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Sep 13, 2006 6:57 pm

Cheshire

Postby johnb » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:15 pm

Earlier this year I needed to change the starter motor on my A310V6 which should be similar to the one on the GTA. Someone on here might know for sure.

The original starter was a Paris Rhone D8E 132. My first call was to Manchester Auto Electrical Ltd who had an equivalent in stock and they advised it was the higher 1.1 kW output motor compared with the standard 0.9 kW. I bought it on an exchange basis, it being a Paris Rhone D9E 70. It's been on since July this year and works fine, turning the engine over much faster than the original.

As you can see in the photo it has the additional spade connector for the 12V feed to the coils to bypass the ballast resistors just while the starter is cranking. Not sure whether the GTA requires this feature.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 A110V85 and 1980 A310V6.
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Postby Dave Williams » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:05 pm

viewtopic.php?p=84996#p84996

I bought the delco remy drs1783 from Amazon in the end...works fine.

Still available for gbp135...any motor factor should be able to source one..I only went through Amazon as it didn't require an exchange item.

..and the spec. sheet clearly showed the 2 spade terminals..

The spec is in the link to the thread above...

Alternatively many folk get them rebuilt...but that did not appeal as mine was pretty rusty..and is in quite a harsh environment..thought a new one would last longer
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:18 pm

As you can see in the photo it has the additional spade connector for the 12V feed to the coils to bypass the ballast resistors just while the starter is cranking. Not sure whether the GTA requires this feature.

Yes it’s the same requirement
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Birmingham

Postby AndyClark » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks, gents.

Looks like it shouldn't be too difficult to get one.
no avatar
User

AndyClark

Rank

Non Member

Birmingham

Postby AndyClark » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 pm

I managed to get a new Valeo one (432553) from AES in Redditch. Very helpful. I turned up their a number of years ago and they fixed an electrical connection for free.

• Advertisement