no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Suspension refurb

Postby Trevor Skedge » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm

I think I'm going to do a refurb of the suspension on my GTA Turbo to include tubular rear wishbones as these were fitted to my last GTA and it drives much better than my present car. I know the car is in need of a geo setup but I imagine the bushes are not in the best of order now and see little point trying to setup a car in this condition. What I want to know is what are your reccomendations and experiences with brands or shock absorbers and what else to look out for/do while I'm there? Got a bit of clonking at the rear nearside which is irrtating/worrying too.

Trevor.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:16 pm

Clonking on the rear nearside could be bushes, but could equally be the brake caliper. They can wear on the sliders (being only single pot)

Take the wheel off and see if you can feel any movement. It shouldn't flex at all.
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

I've tried them all over the years!

Postby Tony Smith » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:00 pm

In my opinion Trev the standard de Carbons are pretty good. Konis are the best of the uprated. Coilovers let you play and you can get the car sitting nice, but this does tend to upset the ride and geometry. For a road car I think the best set up is standard or Koni dampers with a mildly uprated spring - I had some made - approx 25mm drop and 10% uprated. This gave a significant improvement in handling with no real loss of comfort. - Wish I had never sold 'em :(
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:09 pm

I have supplied lots of people on here with coil overs and all have been very happy with them. PM me if you are interested. They are GAZ suspension.
Lotus Evora 400
Renault R8
Renault Megane R.S 265 Trophy
Renault megane sport tourer

GAZ Suspension Dealer,SPAX Dealer, Forge Motorsport Dealer,Alpine ICE Dealer,
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Coilovers

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:36 pm

Besides the set -ups mentioned above I've had GAZ coilovers until recently but if I'm honest never found a set up with them I was happy with. I'm no expert but I think the spring rates were too high. This meant that it was very hard to get a remotely decent ride without setting the dampers to a setting which was too soft to give decent handling. Currently have some Spax coilovers fitted but haven't tested them in anger yet - I'll let you know soon.
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm running GAZ fully adjustables that I got from DG (David Gentleman), and I've found them to be very good, but then I'm only comparing them to standard. Had a Skyline driver in my car today and he was amazed at how good thay feel on the road, soaking up bumps well with no bangs, but great feedback. Running them around 40mm drop on Azev As with Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres (255/40-17 rear and 205/40-17 front). Dunno if that helps?!
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen
no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Postby Trevor Skedge » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:21 am

That's good info thanks. My old N/A that Felipe now has was running 16's front and 17's on the rear which I think was supplied and recommended by Andy887. It's a little difficult to judge a new setup when some say the Gaz are high on the spring rates and then you describe then as being just the sort of thing I want. A bit wary as when I ordered my VX220 Gaz Gold Pro shocks they were too stiff on the springs and I had to change them but I'm happy with them now. Do you know what the front and rear spring rates are in your car and what the originals are?

Trevor.
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:46 am

Not too sure what the spring rates are or were. Richard fitted them & set them up for me while he was doing other work to the car (I'm not that 'hands-on' :-D ). You do feel all the bumps, but it's never crashy with it. 28psi in the rears & 26psi in the front are the pressures I found work best with the set-up.
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen
no avatar
User

Trevor Skedge

Rank

Non Member

Postby Trevor Skedge » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:45 am

Useful again. Perhaps Richard will be along and be able to confirm the spring rates you have.

Trevor.
User

PaulyA610

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:30 pm

Gloucester

Postby PaulyA610 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Gaz spring rates are 500 at the back and 400 at the front if i remembr correctly!!
Lotus Evora 400
Renault R8
Renault Megane R.S 265 Trophy
Renault megane sport tourer

GAZ Suspension Dealer,SPAX Dealer, Forge Motorsport Dealer,Alpine ICE Dealer,

• Advertisement