nice :D whats the yellow nose for.
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Mon May 21, 2012 9:53 pm

andy001 wrote:nice :D whats the yellow nose for.

my brother had purchased it when he owned the car for the headlamp lenses, I keep meaning to cut them out so I can store the nosecone elsewhere. :D
Previously Had a Renault GTA V6 Turbo, White on the D-Plate.
no avatar
User

andy001

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Postby andy001 » Mon May 21, 2012 10:18 pm

good plan never throw anything away 8)
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Tue May 22, 2012 5:03 pm

Very cool work. I for one am impressed, keep it going fella. :wink:
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

microsgialos

Rank

Non Member

Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:01 pm

Oxfordshire

Postby microsgialos » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:25 pm

Danglydogs wrote:Well I have to say I'm well chuffed this afternoon!!

Got up at 1 this afternoon and pushed the car out the garage and welded the roll tube to the box section and hung the doors on.

Passenger side was pretty much on the money first hit, Drivers side, which to be honest I was really concerend about as I had no measurements to work off due to the hinge plate ripping off which prompted the work just needed a bit more shimming to be right.

I haven't finely tuned the adjustment as both doors have got to come back off anyway to have the GRP bonded back on that I cut off to do the door posts but its near enough there.

Nice and solid and shut beautifully against the catch.

I have burst the time budget, I was planning on 3 hours a side, so far, including today I've hit just over 7 hours and I've still to bond the A post GRP back on. Excluding paint I reckon 9 - 9 and half hours, not bad really when you think about it :D I could do it agian a lot quicker and within the 3 hours a side target maybe half hour more (again excluding paint though!), once you have done it once you learn how it can be improved for next time :) Total cost with air saw blades, steel box sedtion, bit of welding wire, grinding discs, Glassfibre etc is no more than 50 quid so it is a cheap easy repair!!! 8)

After hanging the doors on I took it easy and integrated the alpine CD player with original cassette unit so it looks original (from a distance, if you squint with one eye round a corner at night). I had to do this as I dont have the original radio display unit, but I think this is a nice compromise. :D

I'm going to have the doors back off and bond the GRP A posts back on and then its onto paintwork! 8)

NOTE:- DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE ROOFBOX IN PICTURES, ITS ONLY BALANCED ON TOP :oops: :oops:

I have a complete spare oe radio unit if you want it.
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:04 pm

Not much of an update as I have been on the Isle of Wet (Wight) for the last 12 days.

Have had a potter about this afternoon started getting the A posts ready for Bonding and glassing back on (have removed the old adhesive from back of them), have cut the headlight lenses out of my spare nosecone (spare nosecone for sale if anyone needs one! :D ), and have cut the old milky delaminated lenses out of nosecone on car so I can start prepping the car for respray.

The passenger side wing I noted when taking it off has been repaired (badly) at some time at the bottom, with staples and glass fibre mat poorly applied :roll: , I sourced a reasonably priced replacement (and a drivers side but I don't need this, so again Drivers side wing for sale if anyone needs one! :D ).

The replacement (in gold) didn't have side repeater hole in though so I thought it would need cutting in, on turning the wing over though it seems its been filled in at some time :? So I knocked this out and hey presto one side repeater hole :lol:

Only other update is I have got a radio display unit and spare cassette player, Big MVS has come to the rescue with radio surround support plate as I have butchered mine to do my Alpine CD and original Radio Cassette install as per photos above, however, I'm stuck now - don't know whether to go original with correct radio display and cassette player or keep my Alpine CD etc - I'm quite struck by the look of it and the updated sounds would be nice but I am a stickler for originality!!

Hopefully I'll have more time over the weekend as I really want to get this moving now and looking towards paint!

Old Headlamp Lenses:-

Spare Nosecone (For Sale if anyone needs one):-

Old Passenger Side Wing:-

Replacement Passenger Side Wing (Spare Drivers Side For Sale if anyone needs one):-

Repeater hole in new wing filled up :? :-

Original Radio Display Unit:-
User

phildini

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:00 am

Epsom Surrey/ Venezia Italy

Postby phildini » Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:35 pm

those wings were mine, I guess you bought them from cbg motorsport :wink:
84 R5 Le Car2 Turbo, 95 Clio 16V mk1, 68 Alfa Romeo 1750 GTV, 99 Mitsubishi Evo VI, 06 Porsche Boxster, 11 Lotus Evora S
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Just a mini update for today, had to go and dry the tent out from our damping holiday on the isle of wight but had a spare few minutes so started prepping the drivers door for filling and paint so I fired up the compressor and got out the DA

The doors have still to be removed so I can bond the GRP door pillars back on but I find repairing components like this so much easier in "car line"

Both the doors have had a panel cut out top and bottom at some time in the past to allow for hinge rectification inside the door but neither have been filled properly when the panel replaced, I'll take a "before" photo of the passenger side (its a lot worse than the drivers side pictured below), it looks like whoever did the work chain drilled the panels out the doors rather than one little hole and an air saw square :roll: :roll:

This all needs refilling prior to paint, I want the repair invisible when painted, not sure why whoever did it before gave up -would only need a bit more filler and sand using a black guide coat to make sure its smooth.

Will do passenger side tomorrow and put pics up.

User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:09 pm

phildini wrote:those wings were mine, I guess you bought them from cbg motorsport :wink:

Supplied previously by a quality parts distribution service :wink:
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:15 pm

I've seen those gold wings before in their previous life:

click me

:D
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:28 pm

Cracking Video Mate, all being well when this ones back on the road one of the Gold Wings will be going back round Curborough :wink:
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:57 pm

Hi Guys

Just a swift update, unfortunately the car not moved on much as I was on holiday for two weeks then I have knackered my back up (again :oops: ) so not got as far as I would have liked, felt a bit more agile Friday (yesterday) so have finished the GRP Door posts off filler wise and stone chipped then primered drivers side.

At work now till Tuesday so hopefully Wednesday can get passenger side up to same stage (literally needs a quick sand then masking off!)

Then I'm onto flatting the paint down and any localised repairs ready for paint.

I break up on Tuesday for 8 days off so hopefully, back permitting will get a bit done :)

User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:57 pm

Bit quiet in this section guys :? so I'll update as to where I'm at hopefully you'll update yours too :)

Not done much due to my back, but been a bit better the last few days (not sleeping on the floor now we've got a new bed :lol: ) so have started flatting teh car ready for paint.

Hopefully a few hours a day inbetween my night shift and by teh end of the weekend I'll have it all flatted and ready for paint. If so it'll hopefully be painted start of August 8)

Pesky stonechips on the nosecone, think I got them all, flatted it back when the stopper dried and looks ok - only a black guide coat will tell though!

After:-

Blooming Bubbles under paint on the roof took some work!
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:57 am

Just a quick update for anyone interested, painted the car Friday, needs a really good mopping to be honest but not too bad. Need to order a new Mop, mines give up the ghost and all I had to try was an old halford polisher :?

Still got the Front Bumper and mirrors to paint, will do on Tuesday, then turn car round to do the rear bumper and spoiler, could have just about done them at same time as rest of car but I figured it would have been a squeeze getting round so may have caused more trouble than its worth!

Have to turn the car round anyway to sort the oil leak out, once thats done and the car all back together it'll be MOT time.

Got my new carpet on the roll ready to cut once I've took the old ones out for a pattern, may try the garish red ones on ebay then at 99p start :D New carpet was a bit of an ebay auction bargain at £7.00 for New 3 metre roll! Finished Midday Wednesday when not many people online bidding.

Hung Doors back on and am well chuffed with the A post repair :D , thats how this little resto started with the repair of the door posts - a nice easy job actually (the door post repair) which only cost about £70 all in for steels, glue, air saw blades, welding wire, grinding discs, glass fibre etc so if yours have gone like mine you'll know how to do it cheap now and get a professional job :)

Anyway, enjoy.

User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:16 am

Looking good :D :D :D
1989 GTA Turbo
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate- A.K.A Badke Bus

www.badkequartet.co.uk
PreviousNext