Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Mon May 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Well spent another hour and half today on the passenger side door post - a lot longer than I anticpated but you'll see why in the pictures further done and the reason in my next paragraph :x

The outer GRP was a bigger to cut and didn't seem to want to move evenwhen cut all the way round, I did think it was strange as when I was cutting around the post water kept spurting up the air saw out of the door post area :? then when I managed to prise the outer shell off it all became clear....

A complete Retard (can't think of another word for them to be honest apart form Bell End!!) had for some reason at some time, filled the whole door post box section and by the looks of it the inner cavity of the sill with expanding foam (the type builders use), anyone with an ounce of common sense would know this stuff soaks water up like a sponge :roll: so the whole of the inner door post was full of water, no wonder the box section rotted through :roll:

This side is worse than the drivers side for rot (apart from the hinge plate hasn't ripped out on this side!) :)

The reason it took longer to cut off was I couldn't risk zipping in with the cut off grinder (which would have took 15 minutes to cut the box off) as sparks send this foam stuff up in flames very easy. So I had to cut the box section out with the air saw (long and laborious), I've also had to cut through the roll tube to get the post off because of this so will need to sleeve this back in place now :roll: .

Still, keeps me out the pub on my days off :D

The sil panel GRP will need cutting off and bonding back on so I can get all this shit foam stuff out :x

You'll see in the photos below the old box section full of foam, even our dalmatian was bemused by it :D

Enjoy:-

Previously Had a Renault GTA V6 Turbo, White on the D-Plate.
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Tue May 15, 2012 8:35 am

Blimey that looks bad :shock: Looks like bodgit and scarper owned it before you and your brother :roll: Keep at it your doing a great job 8)
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Wed May 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Well, spent half hour this morning finishing off the new door pillars, there now ready to fit back on, may try and do tomorrow time permitting :)

The driver side one has a panel cut out the front as shown in photo below (its the one on left of picture), this is so I can get in to weld the roll tube to the inside of the box section, couple of nice seam welds and bob'll be my uncle, then I can just weld the section back on the front and grind flat.

Passenger side didnt need the panel as I had to cut the roll tube off and so this has now been welded inside box section ready and I just need to seam the two bits of roll tube back together when in the right place on the car (sounds easy if you type it quick!) :D

Both have been lavished in Zinc Primer (as will the roll tube be) so there shouldn't be any rust issues again, as once its fitted it'll be heavily treated to cavity wax/waxoyl and underseal so hopefully these door pillars will see out the life of the car.

Hope the ongoing photos will aid someone else in tackling the job, there doesn't seem anything difficult (yet!)

User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Wed May 16, 2012 5:41 pm

Respect to that man. :wink:

Just one Health and Safety issue before I put my clipboard away, Trip Hazard there with those bycles, now where is my form CT3-F7. Hmmmm :wink: :wink:
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
no avatar
User

andy001

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Postby andy001 » Wed May 16, 2012 7:05 pm

here you go, when its fixed drop the pearl. see will's thread for more pics.

User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Andy

Stunning Mate, so is that 389 Glacier White then? I'm definetely dropping the pearl, I must admit my personal choice is a nice solid white, easier to maintain if the car gets scratched etc

Thanks

Rich
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Wed May 16, 2012 7:59 pm

PaulC1959 wrote:Respect to that man. :wink:

Just one Health and Safety issue before I put my clipboard away, Trip Hazard there with those bycles, now where is my form CT3-F7. Hmmmm :wink: :wink:

Lol, no trip hazard Mate, I'm used to working round them :)
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Danglydogs wrote:
PaulC1959 wrote:Respect to that man. :wink:

Lol, no trip hazard Mate, I'm used to working round them :)

Cool, go steady then young man. :lol: :wink:
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Fri May 18, 2012 4:22 pm

When I got up (on nights late part of this week) I spent a little time on Both sides cleaning the old adhesive off the Door Pillar, then bonded and bolted the New Box section in what I believe to be the correct place from the measurements prior to dismantling. Have put a couple of little tack welds to the roll tube both sides just to hold in place till adhesive goes off.

Tomorrow when I get up I may seam weld it up then try the doors on. I think from the measurements we should be in the right place :? but the drivers side I was pissing in the wind a bit due to the hinge plates ripping off :x
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sat May 19, 2012 11:42 am

1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Mon May 21, 2012 7:25 am

Not done any more on the door posts (been at work Thurs, Fri, Sat & Sunday night), but I have on my waking hours cleaned up the centre console cupboard lids.

When I got the car they were covered in bubbled/rippled leather, I pulled this off and underneath was thick black paint (and on sanding found silver paint under this). They looked a mess to be honest (please see first photo), and I thought I'd either have to replace them or strip them and paint them.

anyway, I rubbed down with some 40 grit emery, then 200 grit. Polished with 400 grit wet and dry with a final polish of 1200 grit to try and remove the coarser stuffs scratching.

This has removed all traces of paint and glue etc and with a bit of Armorall Interior polish will look ok - don't think I'll have to paint them now, they seem restored to original grey plastic finish.

Bit boring I know :oops: but its another little niggly job done out the way :D

no avatar
User

andy001

Rank

Non Member

Postby andy001 » Mon May 21, 2012 8:28 am

they look great hinges look to be ok too. i bet clee and mr faulks are loving this. :lol: top stuff keep going.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon May 21, 2012 9:12 am

I am actually .Good to see someone getting stuck in ,real mans work and not just with two buckets and a pot of Hawaiian tropic sexwax buff paste :lol: :wink:
no avatar
User

andy001

Rank

Non Member

Postby andy001 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:17 am

clee wrote:I am actually .Good to see someone getting stuck in ,real mans work and not just with two buckets and a pot of Hawaiian tropic sexwax buff paste :lol: :wink:

good man 8)
User

Danglydogs

Rank

Non Member

Cannock

Postby Danglydogs » Mon May 21, 2012 8:08 pm

Well I have to say I'm well chuffed this afternoon!!

Got up at 1 this afternoon and pushed the car out the garage and welded the roll tube to the box section and hung the doors on.

Passenger side was pretty much on the money first hit, Drivers side, which to be honest I was really concerend about as I had no measurements to work off due to the hinge plate ripping off which prompted the work just needed a bit more shimming to be right.

I haven't finely tuned the adjustment as both doors have got to come back off anyway to have the GRP bonded back on that I cut off to do the door posts but its near enough there.

Nice and solid and shut beautifully against the catch.

I have burst the time budget, I was planning on 3 hours a side, so far, including today I've hit just over 7 hours and I've still to bond the A post GRP back on. Excluding paint I reckon 9 - 9 and half hours, not bad really when you think about it :D I could do it agian a lot quicker and within the 3 hours a side target maybe half hour more (again excluding paint though!), once you have done it once you learn how it can be improved for next time :) Total cost with air saw blades, steel box sedtion, bit of welding wire, grinding discs, Glassfibre etc is no more than 50 quid so it is a cheap easy repair!!! 8)

After hanging the doors on I took it easy and integrated the alpine CD player with original cassette unit so it looks original (from a distance, if you squint with one eye round a corner at night). I had to do this as I dont have the original radio display unit, but I think this is a nice compromise. :D

I'm going to have the doors back off and bond the GRP A posts back on and then its onto paintwork! 8)

NOTE:- DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE ROOFBOX IN PICTURES, ITS ONLY BALANCED ON TOP :oops: :oops:
PreviousNext

• Advertisement