PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Re: Door Mirrors & Electric Windows

Postby PaulC1959 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:33 pm

JohnC wrote:
PaulC1959 wrote: on Sunday I took the car out onto some nice quiet roads on the business park located behind my house with the express intention of giving it some big braking input to encourage the ABS to work.

Paul, one of the best ways of checking out the ABS, is to do it on wet grass.... if you can find some.... the ABS will kick in readily without doing any damage to your tyres. I also understand that the wheel sensors must be kept clean, as being magnetic, they have a tendency to pick up all sorts of crap which makes them insensitive. :wink:

Ahh, now that makes sense. Cheers 8)
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:10 am

I'm not going to tell you of for letting your fuel get so low, I just think it was rather brave! :lol:
I'm more surprised that you say your fuel gauge was telling you you had 1.1 and 0.8 gallons in the tank. My gauge doesn't read that low. It only ever reads as low as 1.5 gallons, then after that the display reads blank and the fuel light comes on, which means - get some fuel, sharpish! :D

Good information on the door mirrors too, cheers fellas. I think mine are a bit rubbish and juddery. I might take a look at them...
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:22 pm

Juzzblack wrote:I'm not going to tell you of for letting your fuel get so low, I just think it was rather brave! :lol:
I'm more surprised that you say your fuel gauge was telling you you had 1.1 and 0.8 gallons in the tank. My gauge doesn't read that low. It only ever reads as low as 1.5 gallons, then after that the display reads blank and the fuel light comes on, which means - get some fuel, sharpish! :D

Good information on the door mirrors too, cheers fellas. I think mine are a bit rubbish and juddery. I might take a look at them...

Hi Juzz

Good to hear from you. :wink: Are you and Jason up for the Classic Le Mans this year?

Low fuel I put my hands up on that!!! Yes honestly it did display 1.1 gallons as I pulled away from the house and 0.8 gallons as I sat and watched the Sunday traffic drive by trying to work out what type of car had broken down. :oops: 8) :lol:
Minari RS - Coral Red
User

si21

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 09, 2005 8:24 pm

S.E London

Your lucky

Postby si21 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Juzzblack wrote:I'm not going to tell you of for letting your fuel get so low, I just think it was rather brave! :lol:

Your lucky you must of had the optional extra of having a fuel gauge at all
shock: :lol: .....cant even rely on the petrol light in mine its done on approximate milage travelled lol its been real economical as well recently i found if ypu dont be bothered to fix it anymore and just leave it to fester it savez you time hassell and money :? :si21
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm

Hi Paul, I would have loved to have gone to the Le Mans Classic this year, I enjoyed the 2010 one so much. I was really looking forward to going again but I'm moving to the USA in June so unfortunately I won't be able to make it. :(

User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Juzzblack wrote:Hi Paul, I would have loved to have gone to the Le Mans Classic this year, I enjoyed the 2010 one so much. I was really looking forward to going again but I'm moving to the USA in June so unfortunately I won't be able to make it. :(

Hi Juzz

Moving to the USA? Is it for a job? Good luck with the move mate, I hope it all goes well for you over there. Are you taking the GTA?

Sad to hear you are going :cry: but best of luck again.

Regards

Paul
Minari RS - Coral Red
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:13 pm

Hi Paul, yes I'm moving there to do with a job for work. I'll make a new post explaining all... :)

User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Juzzblack wrote:Hi Paul, yes I'm moving there to do with a job for work. I'll make a new post explaining all... :)

Okay Juzz.

Good luck again mate. :wink:

Paul
Minari RS - Coral Red
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Hi Guys

How do I get the door mirror glass out of the housing? I had a look today and couldn’t see anything obvious, the work shop manual just talks about putting it in.

The reason I ask is today I was trying to trace why the mirrors don’t work. I have proved that I get power at the switch using my multi-meter and I have proved the switch sends power to the final connectors before the wires disappear through each of the doors and into the door mirrors. I used the multi-meter in the following way, I connected one of the probes to the black earth wire and then to the yellow wire and got 13 volts, then I operated the switch and got 13 volts on the red wire. After this I left the probe attached to the earth wire and tried each of the wires leading to the mirrors from the switch. Interestingly I found that usually only two directional inputs from four on the switch would result in a reading from the wires, I assume this is the X & Y axis. I also found if I flicked the selector switch to the other door setting it seemed that the other two directional inputs of the four gave readings and now the first two did not, this seemed to happen with every wire, I think, but I might have gotten confused.

Anyway I wanted to get behind the mirror glasses to check for power at the final connections to the mirror motors as at this time I think it seems both of the door mirror motors are defective, though this seems a little surprising that both would be defective at once.

What do you guys think, I am open to advice.

Thanks

:wink: :wink:
Minari RS - Coral Red
User

turbodog

Rank

Non Member

Wed May 05, 2004 5:57 pm

NORTH WALES

Postby turbodog » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:24 pm

There are two screws under the mirror take these out and glass will come out
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 pm

turbodog wrote:There are two screws under the mirror take these out and glass will come out

Thanks Andrew, the only place I didn't think to look. :roll: :roll:

Paul.
Minari RS - Coral Red
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:45 pm

From memory, I think there are another two screws behind the glass that have to be released as well, If you look at the pic below, you can see what appears to be two screws at the top of the internal bracket.
I think when the mirrors are assembled, the mechanism is screwed into the housing first, then the mirror glass is snapped into position. Andy, the painter, may be able to confirm or deny this.
There is another pic also which shows the electricsl circuit..... Hope this helps you. :wink:

1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:59 pm

Thanks John

To my rescue again. :wink:

Paul.
Minari RS - Coral Red
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Paul,

I think I've got a spare mirror switch in the garage if you need to test it. I'd need to see if I can dig it out though.

Cheers

Darren
I'm just here for the gasoline.
no avatar
User

andy001

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:09 pm

Postby andy001 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 am

turbodog wrote:There are two screws under the mirror take these out and glass will come out

the two screws underneath hold a mounting in place but this is sometimes glued aswell. im sure the mirror glass is held in by a circular steel spring clip you can on some renault modles see it if you you tilt the glass upwards by gentlly pushing it in at the top. then look behind the glass from the bottom, you should see two small ends of the clip. use a small flat screwdriver and try to flick one out, its a bit like a bulb holder idea. if you look at johns diagram you can see inside the mirror head a circular mounting for the glass this has teeth around the edge to which the clip hook over . if you can't filck ths clip off the only other way is to prize the glass out using a wide scrapper or something....cross finger and pray.
steve has new mirrors in stock with motors think they are £50 the only thing not supplied is the glass
PreviousNext

• Advertisement