User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

What shall we do next year?

Postby Tony Smith » Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:10 pm

We've had a few really good days out this year thanks mainly to Steve in this formative year, so why don't we be a bit pro-active and try and decide what we want to do next summer a little in advance so we can get the best possible discounts etc. I'm going to make a few suggestions and anybody else can add to the list - then we can see which events will have the support to make them a viable proposition.
1. Crouix - Great track day in France (about 1.5 hrs from Calais)
2. Nurburing - Drive to the old GP circuit which is still open to the public - would need to be at least an overnight stay.
3. LeMans - The legendary 24 hr race - at least an overnighter.
4. Bromley Pageant - I'm sure we could get a stand for the 'club' if we asked.
5. French car shows - there are a few of these although many are a bit max-power but I'm sure there would be alot of interest in the cars.
6. Track Day - We could tag on the back of a few track days with other clubs - Renault turbo O.C and 21 TOC have them regularly.
7. Magazine feature/ Group Thrash. I'm sure Performance GTI magazine would jump at the chance of letting a dozen or so cars visit Bruntingthorpe for a feature article, performance testing etc.

Feel free to add comments/ suggestions
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:42 pm

i would be interested in a run around the nurburgring. have always wanted to go. 8)
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:36 pm

Performance GTI mag??? I didnt think my GTA was a GTI!!!!!
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:31 pm

Hi Tony,
Good idea to plan ahead.
I like the Idea of all of them, but would add some more options:
A) The Oldtimer GP at Nurbergring (1st or 2nd weekend in August - tba).
B) A visit to either the Schlumpf Collection, or Loheac.

These may be of interest to you (I was fascinated by the 2nd one, and it doesn't involve ladies in leather :oops: )

http://www.nuerburgring.de/eng/index_e.htm

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk/

What type of notice would we need to sort out accomodation at LeMans (some of us aren't keen on tents).

I like Bromley every 2 or 3 years, but it does get a bit 'samey' if you go every year.

I would be interested to do a 'run what you brung' day. I've never tried it before and may not want to again, but really fancy giving it a go.

Cheers
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:10 pm

I would be interested in a 'meet up' of some sort, but due to the speed championship I compete in, limited weekends off and taking the girlfriend on a 'proper holiday' (her words not mine) I wouldnt ever manage the foreign extravaganzas I'd like (I love Le mans!). A mag. feature would be good......Retrocar feature rolling road runs every month.....anyone interested in knowing exactly how powerful their cars are?? I know I would!
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:13 pm

Tony,
it sounds like your car will have it's new heart and be on the road by spring time. Are you getting excited already?
How about adding a "launch event" to your list? Timed 0-60 or 1/4 mile dash? I think the R21TOC did one earlier this year???
I throughly enjoyed that casual social outside/at the Ace Cafe, would be good for a warm June/July or August evening.
If it's a UK track day, how about a bit of driver training, even if it's just a theory lesson (hopefully from some one who understands how GTAs behave) and having the clipping point cones in the correct places.
We should do "something" with CAR, or at least keep them in mind by way of invitation. That reminds me, I'll need to let 'em know how enjoyable Croix was.
I'd like to do a times "sprint", but not as seriouly as PeterG (realising that I would need to be registered/licenced and prepared for it). I think there is an annual Sprint event along the prominade at Brighton. Seem to recall that it might be connected with a London to Brighton classic/sports car rally.
Visit to, or appear on Top Gear, dare I wonder/fear what Clarkson could say about "best performance classics of tomorrow" or something. He's probably too tall or something to fully appreciate GTA's. It's all filmed at Dunsfold, Guildford.
Treasure Hunt??
I'd even be keen to drag out my good lady (that does'nt sound good, but hopefully you'll know what I mean) to a posh-ish/quality "something" so long as she does'nt have to endure too much car talk.
Auto-extravaganza thing-a-me-what-sit, you know what I mean ????, help me out!
Looks like a busy year ahead........see you soon Tony
:)
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

Alpiniste

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:01 pm

Nr Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Alpiniste » Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:08 pm

Nurburgring - keep promising myself this, so I'd be interested.

Anyone like to come up to Scotland for a weekend ?
Mount Stuart Classic is likely to be in September in 2005.
The 2004 event had to be postponed due to lack of ferries, but if it goes ahead next year it could be as good as it was in 2003 :) I'd already approached their PR folks on the idea of having a French car meet ( I also have a Matra ) with space at the Classic and a chance to lap the Mount Stuart 'circuit'.
Check out some of the video and pics at http://www.mountstuartclassic.com/home.php
The 2003 event had Alan McNish and Jean-Pierre Jassaud driving the Clio V6 Cup cars, the Jean Ragnotti Tour de Corse R5 and the Le Mans winning A442. Add to that the BAR and BMW F1 cars on track and REAL close, it hoepfully will be as good an event next year.

Is it time for another Alpine Scottish tour ????

Any interest ??
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:04 pm

simontaylor wrote:I think there is an annual Sprint event along the prominade at Brighton. Seem to recall that it might be connected with a London to Brighton classic/sports car rally.

Visit to, or appear on Top Gear, dare I wonder/fear what Clarkson could say about "best performance classics of tomorrow" or something. He's probably too tall or something to fully appreciate GTA's. It's all filmed at Dunsfold, Guildford.

Brighton is a major now. Difficult to get an entry and you'd definitely need a competition license.

Clarkson was a fan of the GTA and A610. He regularly mentions it when asked about his influence upon the car buying public.
Something along the lines of ' If the public take so much notice of me, Why did Renault sell 200 of the GTAs here instead of 10,000'.
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:32 pm

Oh, Here's another alternative:
http://www.haynesmotormuseum.com/
I understand that they have a 'sprint' track which is cheap to hire as well.
And they don't have problems with loud exhausts!!!

:evil:
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:13 pm

Brighton has always been big....was actually going to enter 2 years ago but didnt get round to it. If youve got the licence then entries will be available if you get in early enough. Speed licences are cheap, as are basic race suits and helmets......one of these years I'll get there, although someone I knew did die there when the rear spoiler on his single seater came off and catapaulted him into the wall :cry:
no avatar
User

paulg

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 24, 2004 11:20 am

Herts

Postby paulg » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:26 pm

All this sounds like good stuff to me - I like a good mix of whizzing round tracks, watching others whizz round tracks, and the odd social do.
Would have done more this year but was a bit of late "joiner"... definitely up for more next year, but probably not Le Mans - the Classic in 2006 will be MUCH better !
Nurburgring ? Count me in....
Incidentally Trakzone (sp ?) have got track day dates at Donington in Nov and Dec at £95 for the day. I'll be doing at least one....
GTA Turbo
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:05 pm

1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion