GTA on Salvage Hunters : Classic Cars

If you've seen any interesting cars post here...

Moderators: eastlmark, BIG_MVS, Test Moderator

no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Re: GTA on Salvage Hunters : Classic Cars

Postby rupert » Thu May 07, 2020 10:48 am

Finally got round to watching this on youtube last night.
Why do these shows always have a nice presenter sidelined by a really irritating one!
Nice looking original low mileage car.
Loved the bespoke luggage in concept at least, the final look of it wasn't great I thought, but tempted to get a set made for my car (to my design), and the Spider for that matter...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72qiSvPaOgM
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Thu May 07, 2020 2:09 pm

no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Postby Dave Williams » Thu May 07, 2020 4:28 pm

Here's a picture..perhaps a little fussy for my liking...but the idea of bespoke luggage is a good one.

However...in reality we all know most GTA owners have overalls, trolley jacks, spares, tools, 10 litres of coolant, jump leads ...under the 'giant petrol filler flap' .Image
User

PaulC1959

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Bedfordshire

Postby PaulC1959 » Thu May 07, 2020 5:08 pm

Thanks for the link Lee. :up Seriously considering this for the Venturi and the Minari kit car.
Venturi 260 - Saphir (Bleu)
Renault Sport Megane 230 F1 Team R26 - Liquid Yellow
Renault Sport Clio 197 - Ultra Red
Renault Megane Maxim 1.5 DCi - Extreme Blue (Daily Runner)
Minari RS - Coral Red
Smart Roadster Coupe 80 - Spice Red
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri May 08, 2020 12:34 am

The shame is that weird Star Trek symbol on the bag was meant to be the Alpine “A” but Renault UK refused the production company permission to use it. Short sighted in my opinion as it would have been great free publicity / brand exposure. Just idiotic and unnecessary revenue protection. Manufacturers are highly unlikely to be selling in big numbers.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Petehuws

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 15, 2020 10:28 pm

North Wales

Postby Petehuws » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:15 pm

Last edited by Petehuws on Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:12 pm

Well done just the car for enjoying the north Wales roads. Look forward to hearing all about it once you have both settled in :up
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:37 pm

Petehuws wrote:1

Hi did you buy the salvage hunters car?

It’s had a lot of work and is a great buy.

They called me recently as they suspected it needed a replacement driveshaft prior to sale
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Petehuws

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 15, 2020 10:28 pm

North Wales

Postby Petehuws » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:50 am

Hi Stephen, :newbie I did :)
I'm sorry about that above post just reading "1". I had left a friendly, & lengthy introduction but noted that when I use Tapatalk through my android tablet & go back onto a previous post, for some reason it edits it to "1", it looks like Miles Thomas managed to read my original post before it fell into a black hole.
But yes, we did a deal on the car a few weeks back & happy to say it was delivered to me on Monday. There are a few small issues with it & as you touched on a rumbling, knocking driveshaft on the NS from what I can detect.
The car does twofold for me, satisfies a hole in my heart from a regrettable sale of my old 5GTT that I was always sad about, & gives me a nostalgia lift. I remember being on a 3 week school French exchange trip many years back, the family I was staying with sent me down to a farm one Saturday morning with an empty bucket for wine; outside was this incredible looking red GTA, (was the first I'd ever seen), like the first 1955 scene from Back to the future when old man Peabody goes into his barn and the family views the DMC as a spaceship - that was for me, it looked like nothing I'd ever seen before, long, low, aerodynamic and beautiful, those emotions never left me, whenever I see one it takes me right back to that hot South of France summer of 1989.

I always enjoy whiling some spare time looking at old classics for sale, & have a love for the 80's French turbo cars & era, I'd looked at a few GTA's but only online, both turbo & Atmo, but warmed more to the Atmo for more simplicity.
In fact I had my eye on the Salvage Hunters GTA after seeing the show, & occasionally checked on its sale progress noting that it had been up and listed for a while. As chance would have it the weekend they dropped the price I was heading down to Cambridge for work that following Tuesday so called to see if I could view it as it would 'relatively' be on my way - it was very nice albeit I detected the driveshaft issue, the gears in the side mirrors were not liking being operated, the cabin
blower directional slider was not engaging properly, a few small scuffs, & age related marks here and there, together with a bit of a sagging front bumper on one side, but in all honest, & nothing really too wrong with it at all.
Suffice to say 2 days later a further deal was done & James & I did a virtual handshake over the phone & a deposit sent.

I've already got a huge amount of my questions answered by searching the forum & have a few more of my own to post.
But for now all is good & I'm jolly happy with it, please excuse the mess in my garage.
Many thanks Pete
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Previous

• Advertisement