User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Re: NEW REAR LIGHT COVERS GTA

Postby clee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:53 pm

I can get that info from a broken one here but seriously .....If they quote on that basis......It is not as easy as that .The part is a very technical item ...IE it is not a rectangular box in crappy old regrind .
Front cover is polycarbonate, UV stabalised and tinted .Rear housing is ABS with fixings for selftapping inserts and various clipping mechs for the reflectors and shizzle blud bredrin innit .The rear housing has far more detail than the outer and will take alot longer to produce the tools than the outer .It wont be as difficult to mould but it will still have it's problems .
There is also another lens moulding inserted into the outer cover .

End of the day ,whatever they come back with will anybody be willing to stump up the cash and do it ??? Anyone got a spare 20/30/40k to take a punt ??
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:05 pm

What we need are a couple of eccentric millionares .......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6LhZJdCQY
no avatar
User

desert rat

Rank

Non Member

Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:06 am

Bahrain

Postby desert rat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:47 pm

Sorry. I have not checked in for a while.... But. It's good to see that this thread has got some attention. And hopefully some help for me.

Jon I will try to send you a PM in a few mins.

Making the parts is not the problem. I have the price for this confirmed.

I guess the bad news is that the company that will be making the parts is in China. Ethically a lot of people have a problem with this,
The same company has recently made door handle escutcheons and B post caps for the Lotus Elan M100. They are currently remaking the roof seals for me.

My personal opinion is that they do a fantastic job. I am very happy with their work. and so are several hundred people that have received their parts.

I tried to get them made in the UK but the cost was too great. (about 10 X the cost).

I have the production costs confirmed. It's just the import side of things that are holding this up for me. I believe the lights need the E number on them to be acceptable for the UK EU MOT?

If this is not the case then I am happy to import them directly to the UK. My initial estimate has taken into account expected import duty. But if the E marks are a concern then I would stand to loose several thousand pounds.

If anyone can help with the import side of things. Please let me know.

Regards

Wayne
no avatar
User

desert rat

Rank

Non Member

Bahrain

Postby desert rat » Thu May 01, 2014 10:34 pm

I seem to be having problems sending PM's?

Andy. If the original manufacturer still has the tooling this will be the cheapest option. Please email me on the email address in the first post.

I will be happy to put up the funds for the entire project.

Jon. If your supplier in Taiwan can offer a better product at a similar price then please also get in touch with me. Also if you can help with import to the UK I would love to hear from you. Please email me.
I am happy to go with whichever option provides the best part at an affordable cost for everyone.

If I do not hear back from anyone in the next week or 2 then I will continue on my original plan. And have the New part sent out for scanning.

Kindest regards

Wayne
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Fri May 02, 2014 9:52 am

I'm happy to help in anyway I can.

Perhaps we should speak? My number 07985333901.

Just a thought though- Lee seemed to be talking remanufacturing the whole unit above but your talking just the outer clear cover. Is that right?
1989 GTA Turbo
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate- A.K.A Badke Bus

www.badkequartet.co.uk
no avatar
User

desert rat

Rank

Non Member

Bahrain

Postby desert rat » Sat May 24, 2014 5:28 am

Quick update....

I would like to thank John_Viola for his help.

From all of the positive and negative responses received over the last few weeks.... John was the only person to reply to my PM's / emails and offer me any help.

I can understand all of the negative thoughts that this will not go ahead... I like you have seen it so many times in the past. This still may happen.

The project WILL get started. It is the delivery I have been concerned about.....

I believe that I have found a local solution to getting the parts delivered and stored here. Then I just need to work out how to get the packaging to deliver them to the UK.

I am still awaiting delivery of my last part. But hope to give an update on the delivery of the lens in the next couple of weeks...
no avatar
User

desert rat

Rank

Non Member

Bahrain

Postby desert rat » Sat May 31, 2014 2:09 am

So ..... the "New" lens went out yesterday. Providing it arrives in one piece the production run will be underway. I will pass along 3D pics when the scans are done.
User

jon_viola

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:45 pm

Sussex

Postby jon_viola » Sat May 31, 2014 10:12 am

Brilliant. Well done!
1989 GTA Turbo
2003 Mercedes E320 CDI Estate- A.K.A Badke Bus

www.badkequartet.co.uk
no avatar
User

bazzamac

Rank

Non Member

Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:24 am

Canberra, Australia

Postby bazzamac » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:52 am

Any more news on the production of new rear tail lights for the Alpine GTA? I have been chasing a new pair for ages with no success and was told they were out of production altho Simons Auto told me some time ago they may be reproduced. I'm sure that there are other GTA owners out here in Oz and properly NZ that would be interested. If there is any news I will pass it around to fellow Alpinists.

Cheers

Barry
User

mellowyellowa610

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Chester, Cheshire

Postby mellowyellowa610 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:10 am

Some of these covers have been made but they certainly aren't cheap. Approx 560 Euros + postage.

http://alpinerenault.free.fr/outils/for ... &start=560
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:46 pm

Saffron Walden- North Essex

Postby mettersl » Sun May 03, 2015 4:21 pm

Did this happen?

I'm looking for a pair now.
Lee
User

andyh877

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:11 am

Alpine France

Postby andyh877 » Sun May 03, 2015 6:05 pm

yes, been and gone, but only made for the people who supported the one off order at the time of production, no one on this forum was interested it seemed at the time so uk alpine allocation was ZERO
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sun May 03, 2015 8:49 pm

What do you need them for Lee as you are "Alpine less" no?
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Sun May 03, 2015 9:44 pm

Well,
I have been in touch with FAR and despite the poor support of the UK alpine community (Andy) the lotus community and France meant the run went ahead. They have some left over so I have been able to order a set.
Why...I have bought Andy's atmo, dreadful paint but look beyond that and it's a good one...well I hope so anyway.
It will be a lengthy restoration with Rats and a paint job to go. I hope that it will be roadworthy in time for good wood in the autumn...
So a610 to atmo, an unusual direction, but simplicity and light weight has its advantages.
See you all at Prescott.
Lee
Last edited by mettersl on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

mettersl

Rank

Non Member

Postby mettersl » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:44 pm

A little update...I have a pair of new GTA rear lens covers for my Atmo.
To my eyes, they aren't that different in quality to the originals, but have the benefit of being made of new plastic and therefore not brittle.In fact they are almost flexible.
There is some loss of detail on the figures inside the lenses, but they are the same colour (now, there is a story there) and unblemished. The marks in the picture are only reflections.
Now "all" I have to do is get the old ones off and fit them...

I don't know if the run is now sold out and they aren't cheap (definitely a "how much" moment), but the Euro is low just now, so there won't be a better time to enquire or buy.
Happy to help with the process if you are worried about communicating in French (not me, but my son lives there!).
PreviousNext

• Advertisement