no avatar
User

andys gta

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 26, 2004 5:04 pm

West Sussex

Postby andys gta » Fri Jul 02, 2004 8:43 pm

The PRV is a very interesting engine, but software technology has finally caught up with it.
From the Injection front a couple of companies manufacture ECU's that are adaptable for the Renault V6, MoTec for example are worth considering (but not cheap !!) as they support Individual Cylinder Trim (for ignition and fuel) to explicitly cope with Odd fire engines.

From a economic point of view electronic fuel injection isn't really worth the effort, but economics isn't really applicable when you play with GTA's !! :) :P .

So if anyone can help with the manifold I'm still looking.

Thanks....
H19 GTA - White atmo
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

aghhh!

Postby David Gentleman » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:30 pm

Yes, quite a few brands have been doing odd fire sequential setup for years, especially on Yank V6's and V10, but no other odd fire engines have had their individual cam timings changed per cylinder to smooth out imbalances. If Renault had left the timings the same, then engine would have made more power, but had more vibration. You can get the timing correct with the new ecu as is was set from the factory, but that timing wasnt correct in the first place, only for balance, not for power, and its set mechanically, not electronically, so you cant modify it. Also, id hate to be the bigger to map it...youve got all the rpm sites x the load sites, and then times 6 for individual trim!

I think it would be a shame to invest all the money and time and effort, when for a couple of hundred quid, you could pick up an even fire engine, and then do it all to that!
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:39 pm

I have the original engineers development notes for the PRV V6 and they basically admit that it was crap and vibrated like hell!

However they go on to say that as it was intended to compete in the 4 cylinder market place / price bracket, it therefore was comparatively OK and they would just leave it alone.

As the years went on the vibration became less acceptable, hence the crank revisions and balance shafts in the last versions.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:44 pm

PS I contacted every aftermarket engine management manufacturer on the face of the earth and none could provide a suitable system for the oddfire or promise that it would work. (Hawk, Perfect Power, Haltech, Motec, Omex, Weber etc etc.)

In the end I plumped for an even fire 24V with Wolf 3d management. Still not fitted yet though. One day...

The Z6W really is a bit of an oddball even in Renault V6 terms. If you want to go injection, best to bin it and use the lower casting & sump to convert a safrane or laguna 3.0 from transverse to inline and then fit the throttle bodies.
Previous

• Advertisement