no avatar
User

Darcy57

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:43 am

tacho

Postby Darcy57 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:34 am

hi just bought v6 g.t.a every thing works in cabin except tacho any clues were to check first. many thanks brian.
no avatar
User

Irish GTA

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

Re: tacho

Postby Irish GTA » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:30 am

Brian,
The tacho on mine didn't work when I bought my car. The signal is small and easily "lost" due to corroded terminal connections. I pulled all the white connector blocks apart & cleaned the terminals with contact cleaner, tightened them with a tweak with needle nose pliers and reassembled with silicone contact grease. The main culprits are big rectangular connector block top left of the instruments and one smaller one behind the instrument cluster.
Also check that the tacho needle is free to gently spin. Decades of dust accumulate in the tacho.
Since doing those things, the tacho on my car has worked consistently.
The fact that everything else on yours is working suggests that most connectors and earths are OK.
The fun starts with removing the steering wheel, then the fascia of the instrument binnacle which is brittle; so treat it gently. Arm yourself with M7 screws (Engine rocker cover, if you can't find them to buy) to remove the steering wheel, and electric wiring diagram, which will probably improve your French. Wiring diagrams change according to year. I have incomplete sets of diagrams from most years, in French, downloaded from internet. Whilst the whole lot is open, clean and apply silicone contact grease to all other connections accessible, plus consider changing any instrument bulbs (25-30p from motor factors).
Nigel
User

miles thomas

Rank

Non Member

Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:38 pm

west sussex

Postby miles thomas » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:40 am

More info on these sorts of problems can be found in the members area. Can save you a lot of time and money.
Spider,Clio Tce,C4 Cactus, 1967 DS.
no avatar
User

Darcy57

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:43 am

Postby Darcy57 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:09 pm

thanks to allwill try and sort it at week end i was given a electrical manual with the car and its all in english !! so should help. regards brian.

• Advertisement