Shutit

Rank

Non Member

Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:18 pm

Limerick, Ireland

GTA turbo not starting

Postby Shutit » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi All,
Bit stumped with my 1987 Turbo, won’t start.
Last used it in October and was away. It is indoors in my garage and had battery disconnected. Over Xmas went to start it and it turned over but would not fire. I left it and finally am able to have a go at fault finding this week.
Cleaned the battery earths and all engine bay earths. Checked the CPS and 200 ohms across connector. Cranked it over with king lead removed and had a good spark. I can smell fuel when cranking it. Took out the spark plugs and they were wet with Petrol. Checked for a spark with plugs removed at the spark plugs and had a spark at them.
Checked the fuel and injection relays and they are clicking in for the priming and have 12v. Have a known good ECU and swapped, no different. Checked voltage at rear pump and have 12v and looks like working, can hear front pump buzzing.
Cracked off fuel hose at the injection rail and fuel under pressure there.
So, have fuel and spark at the plugs what else? air??? As I have a spark and fuel at the plugs the CPS is working I guess as injectors are opening?
Thanks for any help!
Eddie
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Re: GTA turbo not starting

Postby stephendell » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:10 pm

Check out some of the suggestions here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9608

And here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9614

Matts problem just turned out to be a faulty distributor cap.

Also try new plugs if they are carboned up and fresh fuel if it smells off.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart

• Advertisement