User

Alan wilson

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:45 pm

NORTHERN IRELAND

INTERCOOLER

Postby Alan wilson » Sun May 23, 2004 3:56 am

How efficient is the intercooler on GTA's ??? not very me think's i was thinking of fitting a small fan to help draw in more cool air any body any thoughts on the matter?
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

intercooler

Postby David Gentleman » Sun May 23, 2004 3:30 pm

The intercooler isnt that bad really, but there are a few mods you can do if your daring. I made a while ago a temperature probe system on my GTA which measured the inlet temps before and after the intercooler, so i could get some good reading. I tried two small Kenlowe fans strapped to the intercooler but they didnt make much difference as the GTA has no air flow really going through it, it mainly works on vacuum sucking the heat away at speed from the back of the car, which was more than the capacity of the fans. What I had to do was bin the massive rear exhaust silencer and fit a single exit exhaust and downpipe, low at the base of the car and heatwrapped. The original silencer sits just below the cavity that the intercooler sits it, and even though there is heat sheilding, it still heats it up. I then...cut out the section of the cavity behind the intercooler..so if you look at the back of the car through the intercooler you can see the engine. This now at speed lets lots of air flow up into the engine bay and the only way it can escape is through the intercooler. My tests at 15psi gave over 100 degrees before the intercooler and a max of 33 degrees after the intercooler which is a massive drop in charge temps.

I was thinking of getting this exhaust system produced but some people might not like the look of a single exit (is was a 5" slash cut mirrored silencer)...but it was the best for performance. It got rid of nearly all lag and sounds really good.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Europa cup

Postby darrenbiggs » Tue May 25, 2004 9:46 am

David,

What temperatures did you record each side of the intercooler before making the adjustments?

Interestingly some of the Europa Cup cars seem to use a similar approach. Check out the pic and you'll see a single large exit pipe and also the grill covering the intercooler is removed for more air flow.

User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

intercooler

Postby David Gentleman » Tue May 25, 2004 8:26 pm

The original readings were in the 55-65 mark so there was quite a drop. The Europa Cup cars still didnt have the flow which Ive acheived by opening up the back of the intercooler. The best mod has been on the A610 where they actually fitted a slightly smaller intercooler but angled it on the same plane as the rear spoiler, so any drag factor caused by the spoiler would force air through it.
User

technics

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 04, 2004 10:05 am

Bolton, Near Manchester

Postby technics » Thu May 27, 2004 10:16 am

My car is fitted with a stainless steel single exit exhaust, and it looks exactly the same as the one fitted to that Alpine racer above.

The only difference is mine is on the right hand side and not the left.

I also want to fit a High Flow air-filter, but im not sure which one to get.
Is better to leave the standard air box in position and get a filter to fit inside, or do away with it all together.

Any help appreciated.

• Advertisement