User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Wipers???

Postby ben » Mon May 10, 2004 4:02 pm

I have just taken my wiper mechanism apart on my '86 GTA Turbo'. The wipers have never worked as they were siezed when i bought the car. Has anyone got any ideas about where the arms in the mechanism should be pursitioned so the wipers run across the screen properly? At the moment, the best i can get them is so the drivers side arm moves right the way to the top as it should, but i cant get the other one to move more then about 45 degrees... Any ideas would be great? :roll:
no avatar
User

Dave Williams

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:43 pm

Surrey

Wiper Fun

Postby Dave Williams » Mon May 10, 2004 11:21 pm

I sympathise ! I'm no expert - so my approach was a bit experimental and involved using a spray bottle to create a mist on the windscreen. That way you can 'see' just how far the wipers trace. (and you can make subtle adjustments in situ to the angle between linkages to hopefully improve things).
Suggestions:
Obvious - but unplug the wiper motor before loosening/tightening any of the linkages. The wipers will always try to 'park' and nearly destroyed my hopes of ever playing the piano :)
1/ Adjust the linkage held by the nut on the motor spindle. This gets the wipers to 'park' properly at maximum travel - . (seem to remember the motor 'crank' and drivers wiper linkage were in line). Tighten.
2/ Then you can adjust the angle of the other linkage held by the second nut. (Which I think is where you are at). Use the mist bottle to see the result and adjust the angle and repeat as necessary. A small change in the angle of this linkage will change the angle swept by the passenger wiper by a larger amount. You should be able to get that passenger wiper to do more than the 45deg you are seeing now. It's a bit of a fiddle and you won't get it right first time.

Anyway that's my 2 cents. There may be someone out there who has a better answer to all this (the worksop manuals I have seen aren't that helpful)
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Wed May 12, 2004 10:42 am

I remember trying to sort the wipers on my old GTA and also nearly lost the tips of my fingers !!
I was trying to improve the parked position of the nearside wiper which was a little high.... but didn't achieve it.
Having seen many pics of GTAs with this wiper parked higher than the other I guess this is just due to wear and can't be adjusted out.
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Thu May 13, 2004 10:32 am

Thanks for all your suggestions.
I have now fixed the wipers, with a friends help. It did take a long time, but it was worth it, as i have got them to cover the whole screen.

• Advertisement