User

iKenndac

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:10 am

Re: The new Alpine topic

Postby iKenndac » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi all, this is my first post.

I'm very seriously considering placing an order for an A110 here in Sweden. The only dealer in the country is just a few minutes away, thankfully, and although they haven't quite finished building out the A110 section I was able to test drive an A110 Légende this past weekend. What a car! I've been looking around at the M2 Competition and the 718 Cayman, and that test drive absolutely cemented in my mind that I don't want a Cayman (I haven't even got into a BMW yet - I don't find them that interesting).

Anyway.

When buying cars, I'm used to a bit of back-and-forth on price. Chatting with the salesman about pricing, I got a flat out "no discounts" from him, which took me by surprise a little (especially after getting a nearly 10% discount on a Cayman just by walking through the door). He told me that it's Alpine's policy that "the price is the price", and that they didn't want to upset customers of such a small brand by allowing people to get better prices just by going to a different dealer.

If that's the case then fair enough, but I just wanted to check I wasn't being shafted. He was otherwise very open about delivery timelines and Alpine's teething troubles with buying experience and brand awareness (especially here in Sweden), so I don't think he was giving me the runaround, but I just wanted to make sure. Being the only dealer in Sweden, it's a long way to go to find somewhere else!
no avatar
User

Blackbess

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:17 pm

Postby Blackbess » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:51 pm

iKenndac wrote:Hi all, this is my first post.

When buying cars, I'm used to a bit of back-and-forth on price. Chatting with the salesman about pricing, I got a flat out "no discounts" from him, which took me by surprise a little (especially after getting a nearly 10% discount on a Cayman just by walking through the door). He told me that it's Alpine's policy that "the price is the price", and that they didn't want to upset customers of such a small brand by allowing people to get better prices just by going to a different dealer.

Welcome!

I live in Belgium and I used to do a bit of bargaining Myself when buying a car ! But with My Alpine dealer the aswer was an immediate Njet also ! :Ass_Kick So I wouldn't be too worried. They are selling enough cars for the moment not having to give discounts . In a few years time it will be another matter though !
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:59 pm

Same in the uk. They don’t need to offer discounts as there is plenty of demand. You might get a paint treatment or car cover if you are very lucky.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

Mike

Rank

Non Member

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Wonderland

%

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:23 pm

No discounts here in Germany too but my dealer was kind enough to give me some goodies on top, like a cover.
no avatar
User

iKenndac

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:10 am

Postby iKenndac » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:58 pm

Thank you for the replies, I appreciate it!

I can't get over how much I adored this car. In theory I'm a "sports cars should have manual gearboxes!" kinda person, and I very recently said "There's no way I'd buy a two seater sports car without a manual", but… wow.

Here's the car I test drove. Légende with most of the upgrades (interior and drivetrain).

no avatar
User

sladey

Rank

Non Member

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:27 pm

Postby sladey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:52 am

I felt the same. Mine is due in July
no avatar
User

LMS

Rank

Non Member

Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 am

Postby LMS » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Also I’m not sure Alpine are making a vast amount on these cars. It’s a bespoke platform and pretty much hand built yet it is at the same price as the cayster. I didn’t get a discount - didn’t even get a tank of fuel as a thank you but the car is superb.
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Postby bcr5784 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:59 am

LMS wrote:Also I’m not sure Alpine are making a vast amount on these cars. It’s a bespoke platform and pretty much hand built yet it is at the same price as the cayster. I didn’t get a discount - didn’t even get a tank of fuel as a thank you but the car is superb.

Same here, while the demand for the cars means no dealer is likely to offer a discount, such needless meanness creates a sour note that could have been avoided - I was even charged for the modicum of petrol needed to get me home. I've never been charged for at least some petrol before, even when I have negotiated a very keen price - and I've bought a lot of cars over the years.
no avatar
User

timhum

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Postby timhum » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:32 am

A full tank came with mine and very well prepared, St Albans is my Alpine Centre.
I don't think they are doing too badly financially. With 7,500 sales, at say £40,000.00 before tax, their revenues are £300,000,000.00. At 10% profit margin they've made £30,000,000.00, I reckon Lotus would be over the moon with that.
Tim
Tim
A110 PE, 2018, Blue.
Jaguar E Type S1, 1965, 4.2l, fhc, Carmen Red.
Triumph TR3a 1960, Red, O/D, Heater!
no avatar
User

Mike

Rank

Non Member

Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:59 pm

Wonderland

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:22 pm

First, Alpine has to earn the development cost for the car which is certainly > €100 Mio. plus investments into the plant in Dieppe (€ 35 Mio.). 10% margin would be fine but unlikely with a full aluminium car.
no avatar
User

timhum

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 pm

Postby timhum » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:57 pm

My estimate of £10k profit per car was after allowing for building the car, factory and development costs. So perhaps its only £5k per car but with £300mio revenue in the first 18 months I reckon there're in pretty good shape. I've a close friend working in the American auto industry and I'm amazed at how little he tells me it costs to build a car.
Tim
Tim
A110 PE, 2018, Blue.
Jaguar E Type S1, 1965, 4.2l, fhc, Carmen Red.
Triumph TR3a 1960, Red, O/D, Heater!
no avatar
User

bcr5784

Rank

Non Member

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Postby bcr5784 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:02 am

timhum wrote:My estimate of £10k profit per car was after allowing for building the car, factory and development costs. So perhaps its only £5k per car but with £300mio revenue in the first 18 months I reckon there're in pretty good shape. I've a close friend working in the American auto industry and I'm amazed at how little he tells me it costs to build a car.
Tim

That may well be true of mass produced cars, but if you look at the on-line videos of the Alpine production there is clearly an awful lot of manual work. The fact that the bodies come from Italy and they have to be shipped to another factory for part of the paint process (and then back again) all means that the car is going to be expensive to make. I have no way of knowing whether they make a profit or not - but even if they do I'd bet it will be nothing like the profit Porsche make on the Cayman.
no avatar
User

ewan

Rank

Non Member

Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:46 pm

Dorset

Postby ewan » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:05 pm

A discount, or not, is not the important point. If you like the car and believe it to be the best car you can buy at the price, then go for it. And if not, don’t.

I’m off to Goodwood next Thursday for the Alpine track day test. All courtesy of Martins Alpine garage in Winchester. I called in today with only an hours advance notice and they couldn’t have been more helpful and informative. I’ve decided on the colour, but not the exact model/spec. But on the principle of less-is-more, and add-lightness, it will be a low, light, fast, spec. Anyway, hopefully the track day will help clarify the thought process.

Hopefully I’ll go in the Atlantique, as that needs a run.
no avatar
User

sladey

Rank

Non Member

The new Alpine topic

Postby sladey » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:53 am

If you’re looking at lightness and speccing the wheels I got sent the weights of the various options
17 inch lightest
Fuch next
Then serac

Can’t remember if I got the weight of those legende 18 inch retro black Fuchs - don’t like them anyway

If I can find the email I’ll post them here
Last edited by sladey on Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

sladey

Rank

Non Member

Postby sladey » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:54 am

sladey wrote:If you’re looking at lightness and speccing the wheels I got sent the weights of the various options
17 inch lightest
Fuch next
Then serac

Can’t remember if I got the weight of those legende 18 inch retro black Fuchs - don’t like them anyway

If I can find the email I’ll post them here

Found them:-

Fuchs

- 1 Rim 18’’ Fuchs Front = 9 Kg + 1 tyre Front 18’’ = 8,9 Kg
- 1 Rim 18’’ Fuchs Rear = 9,4 Kg + 1 tyre Rear 18’’ = 10,2 Kg
- Total car : 75 Kg

17’’ :
- 1 rim 17’’ fr = 8,2 Kg + 1 tyre fr 17’’ = 8,8 Kg
- 1 rim 17’’ rr = 9 Kg + 1 tyre rr 17’’ = 9,9 Kg
- Total car 17’’ : 71.8 Kg

Sérac
- 1 rim 18’’ sérac fr = 10,6 Kg + 1 tyre fr 18’’ = 8,9 Kg