User

chris

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:31 am

Melbourne , Australia

Faulty fuel gauge

Postby chris » Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:59 pm

My fuel gauge does not go down accurately to the fuel still left in the tank. If I disconnect the battery, the gauge resets itself to the correct level in the tank. I am no longer using the fuel used meter as the atmo GTA is now fuel injected and the fuel returns to tank . Do you think this maybe causing the error , could it be a faulty sender or the fuel computer . Has any body else experienced this problem , disconnecting the battery to find out how much fuel I have left is very annoying . Thank you to any body who replies.
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Fuel levels

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:05 pm

Check out the following thread -

http://www.renaultalpine.co.uk/PHPBB/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=140&highlight=flow

Not using the flow meter sounds like its your issue. If you look at the last post of that thread you should still be able to put the trip computer into diagnostic mode and get constant direct readings which would solve your problem.

I've never tried this though so good luck :wink:
User

chris

Rank

Non Member

Melbourne , Australia

Good Idea

Postby chris » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:48 pm

Thanks Darren for the link , I will try this and see how it goes.
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:16 pm

The fuel guage and computer (and speedo)! in the GTA is absoulte cr*p and in my opinion is the most unreliable piece of junk ever fitted to a motor vehicle.

Since when has it been a luxury to have a working speedo and fuel guage in a car! You might as well fit a dipstick or viewing window in the fuel tank.

Seriously, I would suggest using a potentiometer across the contacts on the fuel tank sender to see if any of them are capable of giving a reading in real time and then fitting a regular aftermarket fuel guage wired directly to the sender independently of the rest of the system. You may have to re-calibrate the guage though or buy an adjustable one.

Even when the computer works the information it gives is worse than useless. What mpg am I doing? Who cares! Low probably because it's a V6 sports car. What range do I have left? Well seeing the computer is basically a random number generator anyone who relies on this is guaranteed to break down in the middle of nowhere. Electronic trip meter? Useless. Best to rely on the mechanical one, if it's working of course 8)

If you really want a computer that works glue a solar powered pocket calculator to the dashboard and divide the distance travelled since your last fuel stop by the amount of fuel you bought :lol:
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:59 pm

Sounds like you've run out of fuel when you leasted expected Stephen.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:07 pm

IF you bloody 'Rosbif' would give in and use the 'systeme metric' it would work perfectly .No it really is a load of c*** .I Dont' intend to look at the dials anymore as they seem to be as accurate as seaweed.Now the fact that I have just got another 3 points is incidental .6 more and I get a set /pair of glasses . :evil:
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:45 pm

Simon, I haven't run out but I had another problem and couldn't work out whether it was fuel or not as the guage never reads properly.

Nothing worse than walking for a mile in the rain with a petrol can & getting back and finding it made no difference and something else is the problem :oops:
User

chris

Rank

Non Member

Melbourne , Australia

Postby chris » Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:56 pm

After modifications done to my engine and at the end of a long drive I calculated my fuel consumption based upon the gallons still left in tank . It was very impressive until I recalculated the next day after unexpectedly running out. :cry: . Who's the dipstick. Just made it to the servo the other day , I pumped 72 litres (15.84 gallons) into the tank . Thats as close as you can get ! .Not good for the injectors and fuel pump but.
Still need a dipstik , Oh what fun.
no avatar
User

Alan Moore

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Brisbane Australia

Postby Alan Moore » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:23 am

Fortunately mine seems fairly accurate,in both the mileage and fuel level. I have even checked the speedo against a GPS and found it to be accurate.

I admit after a 40mile drive the fuel guage will read about 0.2 Gallon less the next morning than it did the night before. I can live with this innaccuracy, although I have just run mine to the lowest level ever of 3G, because premium 98 fuel has just gone up to $1.12 Litre, and am too tight to put some in it. From the sounds of above, I am pushing my luck.

I worked out this is 2 pounds a gallon. I guess this is cheap. I forgot what you pay over there.
GTA V6 Turbo
Renault 4CV 16TS Power
BMW 2002 Tii M3 Power
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:57 am

About double what you guys pay on a good day :(
User

LiamMcShane

Rank

Non Member

Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:39 pm

Shenzhen, China

Postby LiamMcShane » Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:38 am

Alan Moore wrote:I worked out this is 2 pounds a gallon. I guess this is cheap. I forgot what you pay over there.

I'm moving to Australia!
'88 GTA V6 Turbo

http://www.perfect-display.com.cn
Perfect Display Technology Company Ltd, Shenzhen
User

chris

Rank

Non Member

Melbourne , Australia

Checking the mileage

Postby chris » Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:39 pm

I will have to get this fuel sender fixed before July when I drive up your way (Alan Moore Brisbane) to the Reno Sport & Alpine Expo Weekend . Should be a good drive to check the fuel consumption only 1700 km to get there from Melbourne . Hopefully 3 tanks will get me there , about $ 240.00 Aussie dollars should do it . About 98 pounds of 98 octane premium unleaded.
no avatar
User

dermotj

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 10:43 am

Postby dermotj » Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:45 pm

Stephen

whats this stephen? - first you mention you dream of owning a BMW 850I and now openly criticising the wonder of Dieppe style electronics! Is there a weakening in your dedication to the marque - please say it isn't so for all us fellow devotees who enjoy your every burgeoning website!
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Re: Checking the mileage

Postby Alpineandy » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:19 pm

chris wrote:1700 km to get there from Melbourne.

How long will that take you?
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:41 pm

Is there a weakening in your dedication to the marque

Rest assured full dedication apart from the speedo, fuel sender, fuel computer and just about everything else electrical 8)

I wonder which genius sat down and thought ''Hmm, I know lets wire all of the instruments in 25 shades of identical yellow wire" :roll:

Perhaps they had a job lot to use up :? or perhaps only the LHD cars got colour coded wiring :wink:
Next

• Advertisement