User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Anti roll bar

Postby peterg » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:45 pm

Just wondered if there has ever been a front anti roll bar upgrade available? I was looking at it today and it really is puny, looks like it belongs on a Nissan Micra (or Smart car :wink: ). Even a poly bush kit would help, but I dont believe one is available.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:58 pm

Ive looked into polybushes, id need to order around 500 for a batch to be made (but this would be rear only as they are all the same bush, fronts are a different matter), but truthfully the Renault bushes are fine.

The A610 antiroll bar is thicker, but it is a far heavier car.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:26 pm

I think Paul Sage told me that Iain Black runs his race car without a roll bar, for some reason, better handling I think.
Iain, is this right? any comments or suggestions?
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:31 pm

simontaylor wrote:I think Paul Sage told me that Iain Black runs his race car without a roll bar, for some reason, better handling I think.
Iain, is this right? any comments or suggestions?

Front or rear? Stiff roll bars can cause a wheel to lift on hard cornering, but its normally sorted with stiffer springs.
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Iain Blacks car

Postby Tony Smith » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:46 pm

I can confirm it does run with no anti-roll bar at the front. Is on mildly lower suspension and 7 and 9 x 16 wheels I think. And Konis I think
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:50 pm

Why no rollbar? Presumably its to decrease understeer....but I havnet really experienced that with the GTA.
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:55 pm

You may find a bigger effect in upgrading the rear bar... that is where the weight is after all. As far as bushing is concerned Transautosport will usually make up small batches of nylon bushes if you take responsibility for the measurement. (If you ask them nicely)
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Fri Apr 01, 2005 3:35 pm

Someone at the event on Monday commented that my car looked like it was diving, and it felt a little too roly poly! I will be winding the shocks up a click of stiffness to see if that improves things first.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:53 pm

rupert wrote:You may find a bigger effect in upgrading the rear bar... that is where the weight is after all. As far as bushing is concerned Transautosport will usually make up small batches of nylon bushes if you take responsibility for the measurement. (If you ask them nicely)

The problem I found is may firms can make the 'soft' part of the bush easy enough, it just became more hassle due to the fact the GTA bushes are steel cased, and this is far more work and more costly to manufacture.
no avatar
User

alpine99

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:23 pm

Kent

Postby alpine99 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:23 pm

Can I add anything to the debate when everybody seems to know more about my car than I do?

Anyway here goes, 10 years ago the car was fitted with 610 size wheels/tyres with 40mm drop springs and MECA competition dampers (the fronts rubbed away the inner wheel arches). In my opinion the understeer was excessive on the slower sprint/hillclimb tracks and I contemplated removing the front roll bar (must have read about the solution in Triple C mag) and stiffening the rear.

However, a visit to Ashford Motorsport to investigate bigger brakes to replace the warped/cracked Black Diamonds prompted the comment “bet the understeer is terrible on that” and a recommendation to jack the car back up.

25mm (Prima) springs all round followed – still not happy, LEDA 20mm drop at the rear – slight nose down stance – better, replaced MECA dampers with standard front and Koni adjustable rear (not the hardest setting but untouched since fitting), replaced front Yoko`s with SO2`s – finished.

In my opinion the car is more chuckable now with reduced understeer in the slower corners and the suspension as hard as I want it to be for a road car .

In conclusion – 25mm drop at the front (rate unknown), 20mm drop at rear (rate unknown), standard front dampers and Koni rear (setting unknown) but as far as I know, it still has the front roll bar but will ask ARR to check next time they are under it.

Told you I would`nt be able to help

Regards

None the wiser!
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Sat Apr 02, 2005 5:10 am

I have a similar solution hence why I dont suffer much understeer. My front is lower than the rear and has stiffer springs, although I have Konis all round.
no avatar
User

Marnix

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:01 pm

Anti roll bar cup spec

Postby Marnix » Mon Apr 04, 2005 2:04 pm

The Europa cup GTA had a smaller rear bar (17 mm) and a thicker front one (I believe 23 mm).

greetings,

Marnix

• Advertisement