User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

G-tech pro meter

Postby peterg » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:43 pm

Does anyone have experience of these or have one? Are they really as accurate as they say?
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:40 pm

Haven't got one myself but there's lots of discussion of using them here on the Fiat Coupe forum:

http://www.fccuk.org/ubbthreads/showfla ... e=4#387803
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
no avatar
User

Rz

Rank

Non Member

Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:06 pm

Stockholm, Sweden

Postby Rz » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:51 pm

got one :)
And yes they are working pretty good, I bought mine 2 years ago (second model) when I had some other cars (Ford Shelby GT500 1967 and Ford Mustang Mach1 2003) but I havent tried it yet with my A610, my guess is low 5s or high 4s to 62 and high 12 or low 13s on 1/4, all depends on weather, car weight, tire model and tire presure and boost presure and where I try ;) I can give it a try when my car is here again and the weather is better. but I think that an A310-GTA-A610 should be pretty good cars for 1/4 races, mid engine and all that, some serious work on the engine 700-800 hp and totally striped on everything that gives weight and a full 1/4 suspension/tire set up.
present cars :
Renault Alpine A610
BMW M3E30 Sportevolution 1990 #23/600
and a daily driver.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:09 pm

WOW, they seem like a bunch of outgoing charicters in the Fiat Coupe Club UK. I think they refer to meets as "fccuking".
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:04 am

Because thats what they do to their cars when they slide straight on at every corner and go off when they try too hard! :lol: Have you ever tried one of the 20v turbos....talk about too much power for the front wheels!!! There was a guy sprinting one last year....it was a real handful when he tried hard.
no avatar
User

paybody

Rank

Non Member

Thu May 06, 2004 11:45 am

20v turbo

Postby paybody » Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:12 pm

I found mine good fun, it's only 200bhp remember? :cry:
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:22 pm

220bhp as I recall....yes they are a lot of fun and I adore the looks, but that mighty five cylinder engine has a lot of torque to be pushing through the front wheels.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:27 pm

Borrowed a G-tech meter from a very generous internet buddy and gave it a whirl. I started off with BHP which reckons it takes off 10% for transmission, but doesnt include aerodynamic loss....it showed 232 initially then fell as the car got hot, down as low as 151bhp (although that may have been poor drvier technique!!) most reading were in the 177-200bhp area. On the 0-60 front I had a bit of trouble getting it to behave and by then the car was very hot, but I turned in a best of 5.5 secs and a worst of 6.2.
Technique had a lot to do with it as did the engine heat.....its been a real eye opener to see the difference made by heat.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:39 pm

The problem is not only the heat, but how the original ecu alters it settings according to its readings. As you know, GTAs dont like running rich, even slightly...it massively reduces top end power, even an innacurate coolant sensor can make the car feel so sluggish. The problem with the GTA is it gets hot and retains heat so easily, that the ecu richens up the mixture to prevent det, and retards the timing. The other problem is that the V6 pipe can retain heat from the charge very easily, and even though the air is intercooled, it is then warmed up again by this very pipe.On some of the Europa Cup cars, they had a black Turbo pipe and a silver V6 pipe..
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:48 pm

peterg wrote:Borrowed a G-tech meter from a very generous internet buddy and gave it a whirl. I started off with BHP which reckons it takes off 10% for transmission, but doesnt include aerodynamic loss....it showed 232 initially then fell as the car got hot, down as low as 151bhp (although that may have been poor drvier technique!!) most reading were in the 177-200bhp area. On the 0-60 front I had a bit of trouble getting it to behave and by then the car was very hot, but I turned in a best of 5.5 secs and a worst of 6.2.
Technique had a lot to do with it as did the engine heat.....its been a real eye opener to see the difference made by heat.

lol, this is why I have a soft spot for the atmos...slightly slower but the performance doesnt change come Summer or Winter! :D
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:55 pm

David Gentleman wrote:The problem is not only the heat, but how the original ecu alters it settings according to its readings. As you know, GTAs dont like running rich, even slightly...it massively reduces top end power, even an innacurate coolant sensor can make the car feel so sluggish. The problem with the GTA is it gets hot and retains heat so easily, that the ecu richens up the mixture to prevent det, and retards the timing. The other problem is that the V6 pipe can retain heat from the charge very easily, and even though the air is intercooled, it is then warmed up again by this very pipe.On some of the Europa Cup cars, they had a black Turbo pipe and a silver V6 pipe..

Thats why I need your new prog. ECU and soon!!!!! :D
I have a silver V6 pipe........but i cant claim responsibility as it was you who suggested it!!!!
Been playing some more.....0-60 has evened out at around the 5.7 mark. I will give it a whirl on Monday at Croft and see what I can do in the hopefully ideal environment and conditions.
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:56 pm

peterg wrote:220bhp as I recall....yes they are a lot of fun and I adore the looks, but that mighty five cylinder engine has a lot of torque to be pushing through the front wheels.

My brother has a 20valve turbo. Lovely cars; his has a hybrid turbo, stainless exhaust and is chipped. I think the previous owner had it on a rolling road and it produces around 240-250bhp depending on boost setting. It's very quick anyway! Obviously struggles for traction on slow corners and from a standing start, but on the move it pulls away from my standard GTA in third and fourth. :(

I posted a thread on their forum a while back and they're very complimentary about the GTA!
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:36 pm

I love the car and have owned more Fiats, Alfas and Lancias than all my other cars put together (37 in total)......but you take one out on a twisty circuit and you will know the meaning of understeer!!!!!
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:55 pm

Peter, I can't resist but ask, name those 37 models.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:32 pm

Juzzblack wrote:
peterg wrote:220bhp as I recall....yes they are a lot of fun and I adore the looks, but that mighty five cylinder engine has a lot of torque to be pushing through the front wheels.

My brother has a 20valve turbo. Lovely cars; his has a hybrid turbo, stainless exhaust and is chipped. I think the previous owner had it on a rolling road and it produces around 240-250bhp depending on boost setting. It's very quick anyway! Obviously struggles for traction on slow corners and from a standing start, but on the move it pulls away from my standard GTA in third and fourth. :(

I posted a thread on their forum a while back and they're very complimentary about the GTA!

Justin, do you know what boost level you're running. I noticed on your vid the other day, that when you took off in first, it didnt really 'punch' when it came on boost, quite smooth really..
Next

• Advertisement