User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Fans

Postby peterg » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:45 pm

Now Ive shed my engine cover, Ive spotted that the fan to the right (looking from the back) of the engine blows directly upwards (when I had the engine cover it got vented away I guess). What does this fan do exactly and will it now blow damp air onto my rear screen? I noticed that a water pipe runs through the outlet.

Secondly......the side engine heat shield appears to be a total rust trap....just consigned my to the bin and found quite deep surface rust all around where it meets the suspension turret, presumably from condensation gathering round the shield...another year or so like that and it would have been a welding job.......and the heat shield weighs 2kgs :wink:
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:58 pm

Whih engine heat shield would that be (the one hiding the rust trap), when you say engine side, there is more than 1 side to the engine.

YES, the RH fan blows air into the ducts on the underside of the engine cover, routing it over the engine and the turbo.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:16 pm

As far as I know theres only one heat shield down the side of the engine (isnt there???) on the left hand side protecting the spare wheel (or the space where it was in my case!)
What is the purpose of the RH fan?? Other than blowing air into the engine cover what purpose does it serve???? Anyone had to remove one before?
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:37 pm

"what is the purpose of the fan" well, cooling really, thats why it blows air to be routed over the engine and turbo. Some how I think your looking for another answer??? ??? ???
I think these fans come on when the temp is 60 degs at 6v and then speed up to 12 v at 90 degs (ish or what ever). I beleive that the RH and LH fans work together.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:24 pm

No thats what I was after.....as far as I could see, it blew cold air into the engine cover and nothing more.....wanted to check that it didnt have some more important function before it became part of my car diet!!!!!!
How difficult is it to get out?
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Anti-perc fan

Postby Tony Smith » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:27 pm

Peter the fan you mention is an anti-perculation fan. When you turn off a hot engine you will here it come in. the back of the engine cover has funnels on it that channel the air to the hot spots in the engine bay to stop the heat soak evaporating the fuel in the plenum and causing re-starting problems. If you've removed the engine cover than it will still have a minor effect just by making the air in the area circulate. So the fan will be less efficient but removing the engine cover will mean you suffer from less heatsoak anyway!
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:38 pm

So should I or shouldnt I??? The extractor fan on the other side weighs a lot and now I have my turbo neatly encased in a heat bag and wrap round the exhaust I will suffer even less......on the other hand the fan left will help circulate cold air to stop the rear screen getting covered in gunk no????
User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:33 pm

I replaced my fan (on the rhs) when the existing one siezed up.
It was difficult to get at as it's mounted on the inner bulk and had to remove a fair amount of stuff to get at it - such as Renix unit, air filter container etc..
I know the idea for you is to not fit a new one, probably just as well as that was the hardest part for me!

By the way I understood from Simon Autos that the fans come on only when the engine bay reaches 90, this thing about 60 degrees and 6V operation (which is in the workshop manual) appears to only be applicable for Swiss models ??? Didnt even know they sold any to the Swiss :)
I think your find there is only one temperature sensor just in front of the turbo.

I still would value having a clear perspex lourved piece in place of the rear glass. Would make such a big cooling difference in the summer..
no avatar
User

pumpedTSI

Rank

Non Member

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:59 am

MIAMI FL

Postby pumpedTSI » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:59 pm

Bear in mind that the exhaust downpipe and turbo exhaust housing will most likely rust a lot more with the heat wrap..........it does lower engine bay temps and contain the heat but condensation will set in along with rust......
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:31 pm

peter, what is your total weight loss so far?
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:08 pm

pumpedTSI wrote:Bear in mind that the exhaust downpipe and turbo exhaust housing will most likely rust a lot more with the heat wrap.

That's what i'd heard. But I also heard that if you gave is a good wire brush, Rust converter then a few layers of VHT paint (exactly as per the paint instructions) it can lessen the rusting.
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
no avatar
User

pumpedTSI

Rank

Non Member

Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:59 am

MIAMI FL

Postby pumpedTSI » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:21 am

Andy, anything in the preventative arena is of course better than nothing, rust on the exhaust housing would'nt be the end of the world, just bag removal and touch up every so often but the downpipe (PIA to remove and also spendy) will rust a lot more. I have my header pipes on my other turbo car here in the States coated with a hi tech military developed coating called "Jet Hot", baked in an oven and good up to 2000+ degrees AND guaranteed for life IF the coating is applied to a new header that has not been heat cycled. Its also supposed to lower engine bay temps so maybe next time the manifolds/headers are off you could try something of that nature.........
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:05 am

I will probably keep it as it will stop the rear window misting and it sounds like real hassle to remove....it also looks smaller than the extractor on the other side.
As for total weight loss.......its difficult.....37kg from rear seat and belts, 10kg from exhaust...the weight of the airbox 5kg (??), rear shelf, fan, turbo shields, heats shields and associated bits 20kg, battery 7kg, spare wheel and bits 12kg......thats over 90kgs. A very fat passenger...or 2 children :lol: Most of this isnt exact as some things were virtually impossible to weigh but now its all off its noticable when I drive the car.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Mar 10, 2005 3:24 pm

The turbo is virtually new and all pipes around it are solid.....I'll worry about rust later....may check under the wrap at the end of the season. The chassis rotting where the heat shield met it was far more scarey!!!!!
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:13 pm

Alpineandy wrote:
pumpedTSI wrote:Bear in mind that the exhaust downpipe and turbo exhaust housing will most likely rust a lot more with the heat wrap.

That's what i'd heard. But I also heard that if you gave is a good wire brush, Rust converter then a few layers of VHT paint (exactly as per the paint instructions) it can lessen the rusting.

Luckily the Alpine downpipe is aluminumised steel, and not prone to rusting much anyway, different matter on aftermarket steel headers, hell, they can rust from the inside! :shock:
Next

• Advertisement