User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Fuel pump solenoid - car wont start.

Postby Juzzblack » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:58 pm

My car is in the garage for it's MOT at the moment, but when they went to do the emissions test the engine cut out and they couldn't restart it.

They've traced the fault to some sort of solenoid box on the fuel pump. They say the wiring going to it looks ok. If they waggle the box, it starts, but they can't keep it running. They're going to keep my car over the weekend and look into it further Monday, to try to find a replacement for this box, to fix it and complete the MOT.

I've looked in the workshop manual and the parts book, but can't find anything that looks like what they describe. I've not been to the garage to see for myself, so I don't know what it looks like. Does anyone have any idea what the part is they are talking about?

Cheers.
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:03 pm

The pump should only have a switched live and an earth. The connector is a black 'box' and the terminals inside can corrode, so it could be this.
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:03 pm

Collected my car back today. They said there was a small silver thing attached to the fuel pump; looked like a suppressor or something. It had two wires going into it, giving 12 volts and two wires coming out of it, into the fuel pump, giving 12 volts. They couldn't see the reason for its being and bypassed the wires round it, straight into the pump and it works fine!

Might take the cover off myself at the weekend to see what they are talking about.

Anyway, my car is back on the road now. New head gaskets, heads reconditioned, turbo reconditioned, new exhaust and MOT passed (eventually!). :D

User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:12 pm

Duh, I was going to say suppressor...there might be stereo interferance now youve removed it..

Hurry up and get that video/sound clip of your car sorted! :D
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:43 pm

Yes, that's what I thought, but I tried the radio and there seemed to be no difference! Oh well, as long as it works...

I will still do that video/sound clip, but it's going to have to wait until the weekend again. Too busy at work during the week.

• Advertisement