User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Turbo wrap

Postby peterg » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:14 pm

In my quest for weight loss I'm looking at getting rid of the turbo shields as they are bulky and heavy, I have also found something that claims to give a performance advantage if I use it....its a kit to wrap a turbo in a heat insulated bag and then heat insulation round the pipes either side. Anyone know how this works to improve performance. Also what does the fan that attaches to the pipe on the turbo actually do? Does it suck hot air away or blow cold air onto it???
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:20 pm

The bag wrap will work, and the original motor sucks the heat away. Wrapping the manifolds keeps the gas speed hotter and therefore faster so will reduce lag..
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:55 pm

Is the motor up to much????? If I bag wrapped the turbo could I ditch it and save weight without any loss?
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:08 pm

Yep, if you bag wrap it properly then you, in theory could ditch the motor. The old heat sheilding still radiates heat, which is why it needs the motor, but a properly wrapped turbo is alot cooler on the outside, going by the fact you can quite easily put your hands on it..
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Re: Turbo wrap

Postby ben » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:48 pm

peterg wrote:In my quest for weight loss I'm looking at getting rid of the turbo shields as they are bulky and heavy, I have also found something that claims to give a performance advantage if I use it....its a kit to wrap a turbo in a heat insulated bag and then heat insulation round the pipes either side.
Where do you get the Turbo Wrap from and how much is the kit?
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:14 pm

Demon Tweeks have it for about £100 that includes wrap for the pipes either side. I may not be going ahead with it or anything else at the minute as my day to day car failed its MOT in some style and has cost £600 to get legal!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:21 pm

When I wrapped my exhaust I found these guys offered a cheaper deal than most:
http://www.agriemach.com/default.php?cPath=g%23
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:53 pm

Ive had a look and they do lots of stuff but not a dedicated turbo wrap kit. They do exhaust wrap and other bits that may be the same stuff (the turbo gets its own special bag) but the prices arent much different....could be useful mind...I will save the site to my list of possible suppliers.

• Advertisement