Renault & Alpine General Discussion
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Sun May 16, 2004 10:49 pm

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Sat Feb 26, 2005 10:52 am

simontaylor wrote:The fitters (probably not mechanics) have not done them selves any favours with you have they. I guess you will be looking for a new garage, when they've fixed this one.

The guy who fitted my exhaust was the same mechanic who did the engine work. He had to take the old exhaust off to fix the cam timing, so I asked him to fit my new exhaust when he put it back together. That's why I asked them to do the MOT, because after all the work they've done on it they know the car and are aware of the exhaust.

Unfortunately, the mechanic who worked on my car, is not the MOT tester and I think the tester is only used to seeing fiestas etc. The mechanic said he would have a word with him about it and hopefully get him to pass it.

His comments about the exhaust mustn't be any louder than a similar car - well I imagine most GTAs by now no longer have, or at least the majority, no longer have the standard exhausts, but louder stainless systems anyway. So they are all similar!

I agree with everyones comments. I certainly wont be using them again. There's another local garage in Runcorn, who run their own motorsport business and are used to tuning race cars, particulary 911s. So I think I'll try them next time.
GTA V6 Turbo - BTW check your earths!

http://www.youtube.com/user/AlpineGTA
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:04 pm

I've spoken to the garage today and they've said they will pass the exhaust, as long as I say my old one was on when they tested it.

So, looks like that palaver is sorted! :roll:

Only problem now is they still have to get the thing started now! :evil:

Something to do with a solenoid or something on the fuel pump. See:

http://www.renaultalpine.co.uk/PHPBB/ph ... .php?t=498

User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:28 pm

you should demand that the exhaust noise level is measured in db's.
if they are unable to do this then they are unable to pass comment, if the MOT tester was deaf or had poor hearing then how would he determine the noise level?? :? he would use a db meter!

i think i would be performing a few circles for them before tell them to stick it up their a$$! :twisted:

(......or maybe not after see the price of new drive shafts :shock: )
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:28 am

..continuing this link, which jumped across to another thread(!), after reading some current exhaust law, it stipulates that ' no exhaust system should be modified or made in a way that it increases the original volume', but as most people know, this would make every performance system on any car not permitted, and would put firms such as Scorpion, Magnex, or any custom exhaust company out of business tommorow if this was enforced.
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:54 pm

Managed to take a small video clip of my car and exhaust today. It's only brief, accelerating away from the camera, using 1st, 2nd and 3rd, but it should give a fair idea of what it looks and sounds like. I didn't have a lot of time and the battery was flat on my camera, so I hope it will suffice for now!

Also, ignore the filthy state of my car! It's been up and down the motorway all week. The exhaust looks alot more shiny when new, and clean!

I'll see if I can take something better when I've more time.

Click my web site button at the bottom of my post, or follow this link: http://www.alpinevideos.boltblue.com/Ra ... xhaust.wmv

User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:48 pm

You can really hear the standard turbo spool up. :D

Dirty indeed, that system is meant to be mirror polished, as in you can see your face in it!

Justin, do you like the gleam from behind of the stainless (though I admit its only visible really when you are down low at the back of the car), because there is always the option of heat proof paint so it looks more factory like below...

Could you get some more pics of the tail pipes from above?
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:34 am

Nice one Juzz, I like the ambience of the over run as you disappear over the crest.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

Juzzblack

Rank

Non Member

Charlotte, USA

Postby Juzzblack » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:47 am

simontaylor wrote:Nice one Juzz, I like the ambience of the over run as you disappear over the crest.

Me too! :D

David, yes I do like the look of the stainless. It makes it look purposeful I think, and a bit A110-ish in style! Not, as you've noticed, you can see any shiny stainless at the moment, with all the dirt on it!

I think the tail pipes look particulary good from the side. I meant to take a shot, but forgot! :roll: Maybe for the next clip...

User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:03 pm

Sounds nice - in fact it sounds like the car should sound. I always feel it's a bit on the quiet side for a car of it's pedigree, A110s & A310s always sound the part probably due to having no turbo.

The exhaust looks like a continuous pipe from left to right.
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:43 pm

Great noise! I agree that this is what the motor should sound like although I fear that even my subwoofer is not doing it full justice.

I know that variable boost has been conquered - is there no way of inventing remote controlled variable silencing? I was thinking of a "It's 5am and I have to get the car out of the garage and leave it running whilst I get my stuff and close the garage door and then make my getaway to the airport for the first flight without waking the kids and annoying the neighbours" setting and an "It's 5:01am in the morning and I'm far enough away from home to not give a stuff who I upset" setting. It could also have an MOT mode where an entire roll of rockwool loft insulation is inserted just far enough in to muffle any last lingering whisper and satisfy even the most stringent tester.

Seriously though - is there no way of making some sort of modular affair whereby a silencer of some description could be plumbed in for MOT day or for shy people like me who don't like being pointed at? I know that my mate has a replacement tube for the Catalyser on his kit car. It gets swapped back in as soon as the ink on the certificate is dry. Found this on the Demon-tweeks site as an example of what I think I am wittering on about: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?PCODE=CCLRPSI1.75&GRP=MP095&PGRP=M006&CLS=MSPORT&code=ccl_repackable&from=search
or what about these beasties (don't look that great but if it's just for one day!!): http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/product_detail.asp?PCODE=CCLSBR2&GRP=MP095&PGRP=M006&CLS=MSPORT&code=cclsbr&from=search

Over to the boffins to solve after they have managed to get a GTA that is lighter than air.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:29 am

Ferrari and Fiat make variable exhausts on their cars....quiet when cruising and rorty on full throttle. The Supertrapp silencers work well in that you can take packing out to get em louder and the flow well.....but I dont think you really need anything other than what David is offering. As he pointed out MOT law if read to the letter would ban nearly all after market exhausts. Juzz has gone to a very pedantic MOT tester!!!
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Honda and Mazda too

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:10 am

i believe Honda and Mazda have also variable noise exhausts with a butterfly engineered somewhere into the system that doesn't fully open til your on full throttle
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Re: Honda and Mazda too

Postby simonsays74 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:12 am

Tony Smith wrote:i believe Honda and Mazda have also variable noise exhausts with a butterfly engineered somewhere into the system that doesn't fully open til your on full throttle

.......and bmw.

:wink:
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

A110s

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:33 am

I believe a few of the works A110s were fitted with a bypass flap for the RAC rally back in the old heydays of their racing.

Officials had complained that they were too loud etc so on the start-line their was a flap that sent the exhaust through a smaller tailpipe operated by the choke lever. As soon as they left the line they opened up the exhaust to get full power and full volume!

Bit old school for a GTA though.
User

pgoldsmith

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:14 pm

West Moors, Dorset

Postby pgoldsmith » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:46 pm

A friend of mine has a GTA and I often wondered why his sounds a lot lounder than mine yet looks like a standard silencer.
Turns out that he removed the silencer, took it to a garage and got them to cut it open and remove all sound proofing, baffles etc. and then just welded it back up.
Thats always a thought, though I wonder how an MOT would judge it ?
PreviousNext

• Advertisement