User

Alan Moore

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Brisbane Australia

Citroen XM motor into GTA Turbo

Postby Alan Moore » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:42 am

I am looking to build another motor for my GTA Turbo, and of course I want it to have more power and torque. I am looking to built a 3L. The 24Valve looks like a lot of trouble and so I am looking at an XM or 605 12 Valve. I have found some XM motors in South Australia about 1500 miles away, and was wondering what parts are necessary for the swap.

I know about using the lower part of the original GTA block and sump, but do the GTA exhaust manifolds fit, and will I have to purchase an A610 inlet manifold, that must be getting rare and costly by now. I may just take some material off the standard pistons depending on their condition to reduce the comp ratio to a more turbo like No. I am expecting to use the standard XM cams and see how it goes. The heads will be massaged a little while I have it apart.

The mileage on the motors is between 25and 45K and should be in good condition. I can buy one cheaper in the UK, but the probable condition of the motors is a gamble, I believe.

Will my original GTA throttle assembly fit the A610 manifold?

I saw Tony Smiths' engine at ARR some months ago, but neglected to ask about what fitted what. His was a Safrane Bi turbo and had an A610 inlet manifold and a large Hybrid type T3 turbo, but I don't remember much else except it was clean.
GTA V6 Turbo
Renault 4CV 16TS Power
BMW 2002 Tii M3 Power
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Its not as straightforward as it seems.

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:28 am

Hi Alan, my engine should look clean - its brand new!
First off you need the sump, oil pick up and the spacer plate between the block and sump from your GTA engine, an A610 manifold and injectors, a bigger turbo, GTA waterpump and plumbing, different ECU. I'm sure theres other stuff I've forgotton too. I'll ask Paul on Monday when I see him. Also my Safrane biturbo is a different engine code to the aspirated engines. So there are probably some internal differences made for the engine being turbo'd
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
no avatar
User

Alan Moore

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:04 pm

Brisbane Australia

Postby Alan Moore » Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:01 pm

Thanks Tony.
Had a talk to David G, and he recommended buying a Laguna motor rather than an XM, as it already has the same comp ratio and cams as the A610. The A610 inlet manifold is apparently around 280 Pounds. I will see what my dealer here will do do it for.
GTA V6 Turbo
Renault 4CV 16TS Power
BMW 2002 Tii M3 Power
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:44 pm

Yep, going by the manual, the only differences listed from the Laguna engine to the A610/Safrane lump is the exhaust valves are sodium cooled, but all the cam profiles, valve sizes, pistons, rods, crank are the same. If you strip the engine down, you can get the sodium cooled valves from MecaParts for 35 Euros each.

You have to move the dizzy, and fit a A610 oil feed to the turbo, unless you fabricate a flexible feed which would be easier and cheaper.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:45 pm

Have noticed one difference actually between the Safrane Biturbo/A610 engine and the standard Laguna V6 low comp engine...Laguna lump has hydraulic rockers instead of mechanical...ive always wondered why the Lagunas sounded different and revved smoother.. :)
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:02 am

I have a laguna engine if anyone wants it........ :wink:
no avatar
User

alpine99

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:23 pm

Kent

Postby alpine99 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:40 pm

Mille Miles (edition no 46) carries an article on a Safrane into GTA conversion undertaken by VEC Racing (the same guy that did my 24v).

Modified ECU, tubular manifold and INOX silencer, estimated bhp 190 at 6000 rpm - looks like the horsepower figures have got more realistic (used to claim 210 bhp for this conversion). Car was also running 16 inch front wheels with 300mm big brakes and Willwood 4 pots

Iain
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:05 pm

alpine99 wrote:Mille Miles (edition no 46) carries an article on a Safrane into GTA conversion undertaken by VEC Racing (the same guy that did my 24v).

Modified ECU, tubular manifold and INOX silencer, estimated bhp 190 at 6000 rpm - looks like the horsepower figures have got more realistic (used to claim 210 bhp for this conversion). Car was also running 16 inch front wheels with 300mm big brakes and Willwood 4 pots

Iain

Might depend on the compression ratio maybe, some of the Laguna/Safrane lumps are 9.5:1 and 7.6:1, yet they have the same output power(170bhp) standard
no avatar
User

alpine99

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:23 pm

Kent

Postby alpine99 » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:17 pm

This one was 9.6:1

Iain

• Advertisement