clivebawden

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:02 pm

Cheltenham

Sticking throttle

Postby clivebawden » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:34 am

Hi Guys,
My 1988 GTA atmo has developed a sticking throttle problem. It sometimes jams partly open and I have to blip the pedal to release it. This can be very scary when you're pressing on round the bendy bits, you take your foot off the gas and the car doesn't slow down! I wonder if this is a common problem, as the cable presumably follows a tortuous route from the front to the back of the car. Is it worth trying to re-lubricate the cable or better to replace it? what sort of a job is it to replace the cable?
Thanks in anticipation of advice, Clive
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Throttle

Postby darrenbiggs » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:54 am

Clive,

The cable route is actually pretty smooth and straight back to the engine bay. They can get dry at the pulley end near the plenums but I have a similar problem some cold mornings and it was nothing to do with the cable. (Do check its not frayed anywhere though)

Check the actual movement of the pedal - undo the plastic shroud and you'll see the floor hinged arrangement. It collects dirt, grit and water from your shoes and gets pretty gunked up. The shaft slides within two clasps - I lubricated these, first with WD40 to flush them out then with lithium grease and its much better now.

I'd like to unscrew these two clasps that the shaft runs through and really clean it up but even with the bolts removed they wouldn't open up and I didn't want to force them. Any ideas anyone?

Also of late the brake lights are illuminating when I dip the clutch. Theres a tiny flex in the brake pedal - they share a common shaft and the friction must just cause a tiny movement. I guess the solution is just to wind the microswitch in a fraction so that its less sensitive!?!?
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:21 am

Look at the throttle mechanism on the side of the housing. You will see very close behind it, a black vacuum tube coming up from the inlet manifold going across to the right hand side of the engine bay, this is the MAP tube. This often touches the mechanism on the throttle, and makes it stick when about 30-40% depressed.
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:58 am

i dont think your having the same problem that i had.

drove home in the atmo, parked up, got up the next moring, jumped in, started up, went to accelerate and......nothing!
i could not open the throttle no matter how hard i pressed.
looked at the carb end of things, and no problem there.
looked around the pedal and still solid there with the cable off the carbs. pulled out the throttle cable to find that the inner plastic sheaf had contracted around the inner cable about 2mm! this piece was above the gearbox/ engine joint? anyway, repaired it and refitted it and on my way to work 1/2 an hour later!

never had any problems with throttle feel before or after. :?

just though that i would share that with the group!
no avatar
User

dermotj

Rank

Non Member

Mon May 10, 2004 10:43 am

Postby dermotj » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:18 pm

your slowing up richard - half an hour for a simple job like that - tsk tsk!
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:15 pm

sorry dermot, forgot to mention that i had a broken arm, dislocated hip and was fighting a mad dog with my foot..............
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:12 pm

I have just had them same problem. VERY SCARY!!! It was just a load of sh*t collected around the pedals causing my problem. Pritty simple to fix, just a wire brush, some WD40 and a bit od time did it!
no avatar
User

clivebawden

Rank

Non Member

Thu Jul 01, 2004 12:02 pm

Cheltenham

sticking throttle

Postby clivebawden » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:54 pm

My problem was exactly the same as ben, there must have been years of accumulated crap in the pedal box. Cleaned it out, liberal spray of WD40, plus 3-in-1 oil for good measure, now perfect. Well done to darrenbiggs for guessing the problem.
no avatar
User

Ramo

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:42 pm

Newport, South Wales

Postby Ramo » Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:22 pm

I've just developed the same problem too, and yes its a little scary when your accelerating on out on a tight round about. :shock: Will look at pedal box and giveit a scrub up.
Emerald green GTA

• Advertisement