User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:21 am

That link is not working for me.... any one else?
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:59 am

Nope...nor me. Is downhill actually down hill or has it been named in an ironic fashion?
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:22 pm

downhill is an area on the north coast. it is a fantastic hilclimb, more like a rally stage, mostly uphill, with a section called hell's hole! :shock:

can't wait to get at it, will hopefully be there this year. :)
User

Alpiniste

Rank

Non Member

Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:01 pm

Nr Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Alpiniste » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:25 pm

Alpiniste wrote:well better get it aired now whilst I'm in such great company.
Mine at Brands :)

Mind you the previous owner had even bigger problems ..
Click to view video -> http://www.bad-boy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk ... dorado.wmv
:)
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:36 pm

Very good......that so isnt the 610 being blown up mind!!!
User

Alpiniste

Rank

Non Member

Nr Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Alpiniste » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:27 pm

peterg wrote:Very good......that so isnt the 610 being blown up mind!!!
Correct - or they were very good at putting all the bits back together for mine :) - it was a TR7 they used. REALLY bad and cheap special effects by the Beeb :)
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:47 pm

Try the link again, I've fixed it now.
User

RED21

Rank

Non Member

Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:43 pm

New Forest

Postby RED21 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:02 pm

Alpiniste,
What made you to end up in the gravel at Druids? Driver (that always my excuse :lol: ) car or an external influence (BBC special FX dept)???
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:38 pm

The Eldorado car was getting withdrawal symtoms of not being near the sandy beaches! :D
User

Alpiniste

Rank

Non Member

Nr Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Alpiniste » Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:29 pm

RED21 wrote:Alpiniste,
What made you to end up in the gravel at Druids? Driver (that always my excuse :lol: ) car or an external influence (BBC special FX dept)???

Despite what DavidG was saying it was - sadly - only attributable to driver cockiness. It was near the end of the track day - always worst time - and I was out on track with only a handful of other cars, one of which was a full race prepped M3. We were starting to get into serious racing - bad idea - and I made the mistake of overtaking him on the inside along Brabham Straight into Paddock Hill Bend. I was on the inside, he wasn't giving me ANY room and I thought I would be OK to take an early apex complete the pass and run wide. BUT I clipped the kerb. The marshals described it as the most beautiful 100mph sideways down the hill with lock on and power. I in the meantime was inside the bloody thing sweating buckets and trying to stop the back from stepping out any further or swapping ends ! Everything seemed find until the bottom of the hill. The suspension compressed and CATAPULTED the car onto the opposite lock, swapped ends and ploughed sideways through 30m of gravel before hitting the tyres. Again the marshalls were wll impressed - me less so by now :(

We dragged it out, drove it round to the pits where one of the race teams let me use their garage. We checked it over, straightened the exhaust pipe took the tyres off and refitted them and I left the track an hour later to drive back to Scotland. A little detoru into another local garage to empty 4 buckets of gravel we'd missed trapped up inside all those bloody plastiuc bits bolted to the bottom - the mechanics were great and mucked in. Set off for home by about 6pm - started out at 30mph being uspicious that somethign might have been missed in our checkover - but by 2am in the borders I was pushing on when in a dip in the A1 I was flashed by a camera ( pretty much flat out !! ).

So ended what I reckoned was going to be my worst day EVER ! Spun off at Brands, cracked the gelcoat on the wing and rear panel AND photographed at a speed that would involve immediate ban from driving.

Thankfully it was not so bad, the impact with the tyres was in the 15-20mph range so was easily repaired. BETTER stil whilst showing the damage to mate and telling him about the speed camera he assured me I woudl be fine. Why ? The number plate ended up somewhere on Brands circuit - lucky buggar ( is their a statute of limitations in the UK :) )
Previous

• Advertisement