Ramo

Rank

Non Member

Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:42 pm

Newport, South Wales

Turbos again

Postby Ramo » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:15 pm

Omar,
I'm new to the forum and i'm very impressed with the banter, unfortunately alot of it goes over my head! I'd ike to add another dimention to this. Here it goes:- If I had £500 to spend what would be the increase in BHP, Or
£750=BHP ?
£1000=BHP ?
£1500=BHP ?
You get the drift. I'm looking to increase the power of my 89 Turbo, for some reason I have this notion that 250/290 BHP is'nt that inachieveable. Your all gona roar with laughter now, I can just feel it. :oops:
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

GET YOUR WALLET OUT!

Postby Tony Smith » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:52 pm

For £500 you should be able to get around @230 bhp if your car is all running as it should be. First thing you need to do is get the boost limit taken out of the ECU otherwise any more than a couple of psi over standard will bring in the boost limiter which is a very unpleasant experience which will virtually put you through the windscreen if your not wearing your seatbelt! Then either put a K&N or Pipercross Filter in the airbox - or fit an induction kit if you don't mind a bit of aggro with the fitting. I went for the BMA carbon fire airbox on mine but it isn't straight forward to fit. You could make something up yourself but keep the actual filter away from the hot top side of the engine. Add a decent Stainless exhaust into the equation for a few extra bhp. Get the car set-up on a rolling road and you should be able to run 14-15psi on the standard fueling before it runs lean. These mods usually produce around 230bhp. Now it starts to get expensive as any more power will require a bigger turbo and the fueling to be uprated with an adjustable rising rate fuel pressure regulator. So thats your grand gone if you can fit it all yourself! You can now run 15-16psi which should give you around 250bhp with the bigger turbo in situ. If you want to reach 290bhp you will need to change the cams, fit some bigger injectors and uprate the intercooling so you can run the 18psi of boost or so that will be required. Welcome to the world of making GTA's go faster!
Alpines - GTA 3.0 Turbo, GTA 3.0 Inj (Project DD), GTA 6.2 V8 (500 bhp) , R32 Skyline GTR, BMW Alpina B10 635 Highline, Alpina B10 E39 5 Series, Jaguar 4.2 XKR, Laguna 205GT, BMW 120d.
no avatar
User

Ramo

Rank

Non Member

Newport, South Wales

getting the bits

Postby Ramo » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:17 pm

Thanks Tony for the swift reply, its a little better than I thought. Where would i get the bits from? Do I contact 'ART', or any where else, I'm finding the 'ART' website is not working properly can't seem to view any thing. Does any body do a 250bhp package for instance?
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:07 pm

David (ART) supplies lots of goodies and maintains that you can get over 290 bhp without doing the cams......ignition advance works wonders apparently.....and he seems to have had a lot of experience of playing with GTAs. There are also a lot of different exhaust upgrades.....a Devil exhaust may release a bit of power but a straight through with no silencer works wonders.....I could actually felt a noticable difference when I changed to it. The car feels physically faster and revs all the way to the limiter. David is just about to release a programmable ECU which will move the game on from the static types mods already listed. As Tony says....welcome to the world of GTA tuning....how big is your wallet? :D If youve got lots of money you could get 400bhp.....but then you'd need a whole extra heap of money to upgrade brakes and suspension.....or kill yourself!!!!!
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:55 pm

I didnt say you can get 290 without cams, 270 is about your limit unless you want to run silly boost, which is bound to cause problems

Ramo, can you tell me what problems you are getting viewing my site. It only works in 1024 x 768 resolution with the window fully maximised, otherwise Explorer pushes all the frames together and they overlap losing some of the buttons.

If anyone else has encountered any problems can you please tell me!
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Damn...could have sworn it....now youve made me want/need cams!!!!! Had envisaged getting near the 300bhp mark once the ECU is on..........definitely havent got the time or money for cams before the season starts. D'oh!!!! :roll:
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:09 pm

With the right amount of boost, with suitable intercooling and the mappable ecu, higher power of 270 plus should be acheivable without the cams, it will just take more boost, and more strain on the engine. Obviously the cams increase effciency, at the expense of bottom end power.

Ramo, is this how my site looked to you? If so you are still using 800x600 screen resolution which not may websites thesedays are designed to work with...

User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:20 pm

On the subject of prices, for around £550, the piggy back chip and straight through twin exhaust will release around 230-240 bhp, loads more midrange torque and top end pull, and the exhaust sounds awesome, but it will turn heads (if thats what you want!)

The new ecu is coming out soon, which will allow the brain to be modified to work with any modification you do later on to the car, injectors, more boost, rev limits etc, but it makes the first piggy back chip redundant, so you have to work out how far you think you want to go in the future.

I also do a handy electronic two stage in car boost system, which at a flick of a switch allows you to go from standard to high boost.

The hybrid turbos will make marginal increases at normal boost levels, but gain full potential with higher boost pressures, but as I mentioned above high pressures only work well with the new ecu, and decent exhaust, as the more boost you run, the more backpressure the turbo creates.

230-240 makes for an enjoyable drive, and you do feel a big difference from the original setup. The next stages more serious and depends how much of a nutter you want to be..and then theres the matter of suspension and braking to keep the thing firmly planted on terra firma!
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:57 pm

I agree about the exhaust.....it really is a marvellous thing! Makes you want to drive down enclosed lanes just to hear the sound bounce off the walls and buildings.
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:42 am

Your neighbors must love you while you are warming up your V6.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:03 am

Thankfully my garage is away from the houses.....and at least two of my neighbours are in the motorclub and compete in the same speed series. One of them has a full race Hyabusa engined Westfield (not road legal either)....now thats noisy!!!!!
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:30 am

Sounds like a very competative street!. Do you have competitions on who can put their bin bags out the fastest, or mow the front lawn??? :D
no avatar
User

Ramo

Rank

Non Member

Newport, South Wales

ART website

Postby Ramo » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:56 pm

Thanks every body for all of your input, oh by the way don't any of you have jobs! David I tried your web site again in the higher res and it works fine. Got my mouth watering. Still a little confused though, I can see your stage packages to upgrade the power, but are you saying that you bypass some of these mods by using the new programeable ECU's I'm thinking of your stage 3 or 4 setup. By the way can you do this at home, and then programe the ECU?

[Emmerald Green Turbo].
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:57 pm

Yes, basically some of the lower mods you wouldnt need if you jumped in straight to the higher stages. For instance a lower stage may have a lower spec exhaust than the higher stage, so buy the right one first if you think you are going to upgrade later. Same with the Ecu, there is a 'chip' for 230bhp, but if you think you will end up going for the programmable ecu, you wouldnt need the first chip.

Ill be putting full details and advert for the ecus when I have them in my hands. Its fully programmable from a laptop or PC, fueling and ignition and settings, so you can play yourself if you know what you are doing, or take the car and software and lead to a rolling road and get them to set the car up properly.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Colchester, Essex

Postby David Gentleman » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:02 pm

In addition, a few items from the site may be removed once the new ecu is available (if people want them they will still be available but not advertised so as not to confuse people) The new ecu is slightly more expensive, but it opens up so many options to tuning the car, and for instance the piggy back chip and boost upgrade kit may not be nessecary.The ecu would be the same unit whether you wanted to run 200bhp or 400bhp (if poss!) and all that changes is the map data file that is downloaded into the ecu.

It might generate a black market for high performance map files between owners!
PreviousNext

• Advertisement