User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

A bad tip and a good one!

Postby peterg » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:59 pm

First off........the A610 grill doesnt fit the GTA!

(Yes it does!! Ed. 8) )

Someone advised me it would and as my old grill was knackered I thought it would look good and allow more airflow..........the holes dont line up. Ive fitted it now but I wont ever be removing it whole :lol:
2nd thing is how to get more air through the totally useless intercooler without wrecking the car or re-siting the thing in the airflow (motorsport regs stop me doing this). With the rear lights out there are panels that lead into the front of the intercooler.....cut em out and a small amount next to the front of the light housing and run some ducting down into the airflow under the car. Took me an hour and it appears to work.....air flowing from both ends of the intercooler. Total cost......nothing!!!!!! (had the ducting lying in the garage......actually I lie, I had to buy a router bit for my Dremel to cut the fibreglass, so its £3.99)
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:39 pm

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:34 pm

I have seen water sprays fitted to intercoolers on other cars, which can be quite effective in reducing induction temps even lower. Not much space in there tho I think.
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:48 pm

I've often thought about doing the same to the cabin ventilation - putting some ducting from the inlet of the fan down into the airflow under the car so that there would be a better flow when moving. Has anyone attempted that before?

I figure it would need a square shaped adapted to fit into the bottom of the fan, some flexible ducting and a small scoop arrangement with a tab that could be fixed onto a convenient bolt - maybe one of the undertray fixings. It would obviously need to face forward otherwise it might suck air out of the cabin and make the fan even less effective.

Any comments - or has DG already built a kit that I've missed?
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:00 pm

Theres quite a lot of space round the intercooler at the front side, so water spray could be a possibility. Ive seen one rigged up from an old windscreen washer system (not on a GTA mind).....you could put the washer nozzles through the fibreglass in front of the intercooler.....may have a think about it.......is it really worth it???
As for the cabin ventilation, I personally dont have a problem with it, with the fan on it chucks out quite a lot of air and theres always the window!!!
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Grille

Postby stephendell » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:28 am

The A610 grille fits the GTA perfectly.

You must have the A610 mounting brackets though... otherwise next to impossible :?

Easy to fit and even easier to remove. Much better all round than the GTA grille. :D

Check out the visitors page (Japan) and you can see how Harada fitted his.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:19 am

It doesnt show how it fits at all, just that it fits!!! The bolt holes didnt line up which is where the problem came....presumably the mounting kit changes all that??
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:35 am

Are you talking about the one between the rear lights or the one in the rear spoiler?
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:49 am

This link is about water spray systems on Subarus... You will need to register on the site if you want to see the photos.
It says that sprays are standard fitment on WRX Scoobys
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4026
no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:51 am

no avatar
User

rupert

Rank

Non Member

Plymouth, Devon

Postby rupert » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:59 am

User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:13 am

That looks mighty expensive for a 12v motor and some tubes!!!!!!! Will aim for homemade I think. Rupert....was what the one between the lights or the one in the rear spoiler??? I saw the Scooby comments on water spray and they didnt think it did much.....but they arent lumbered with an intercooler in a sealed compartment at the rear of the car!!!!
no avatar
User

Roger

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:35 pm

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:29 pm

An idea about air-flow to the Intercooler.

Air in is through the top grille (I hope! - I have not actually checked mine before posting).

Air out is through the rear grille.

When running at speed all you need is to get a pressure difference between in & out. A modification to the lip spoiler would achieve that.

Certainly the ducted mod as described should work as you could create a scoop under the car (just as long as there is decent air-flow), which would create a nice high pressure supply to the air-in side of the intercooler (add this air to the other side and I can see that you might reduce the pressure difference between each face of the intercooler).

I would not be surprised to find that there is pretty good air-flow as it is.

Water mist cooling is surely a useful idea as it promotes heat exchange without the need for high vehicle speed.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:20 pm

Roger....there is no air flow through the intercooler at all in standard form. Check and you'll see its sealed off at the top and front.....the grill in the spoiler doesnt appear to serve a purpose its just a fibreglass housing under it..... its probably the worlds most useless intercooler! It works (or not!) by radiation of the heat from the many fins and not through a flow of air at all.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:26 pm

While I'm on.....made enquries about the A610 grill fitting kit.....its....wait for it......£30!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: for 2 plastic mounts!!!!!!!!! I will not be partaking and will stick with my home made effort which looks the same until you take the grill off!
Rupert....took a look at the Subaru guys guide to fitting the water spray.....I bet hes a really interesting guy :lol: :lol: How could anyone make such a meal out of something as simple as a water spray kit! :D
no avatar
User

Roger

Rank

Non Member

Sun Oct 03, 2004 2:35 pm

Postby Roger » Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:42 pm

peterg wrote:Roger....there is no air flow through the intercooler at all in standard form. Check and you'll see its sealed off at the top and front.....the grill in the spoiler doesnt appear to serve a purpose its just a fibreglass housing under it..... its probably the worlds most useless intercooler! It works (or not!) by radiation of the heat from the many fins and not through a flow of air at all.

That's mad!

Obviously a target area for anyone planning to get big hp from one of these engines.

I wonder if the Turbo Cup cars were modded in this area, does anyone know?

Call me naive, but the Renault engineers are not stupid; wonder why it's like this?
Next

• Advertisement