Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:19 pm

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun May 25, 2008 4:57 pm

clee wrote:They both lined up pointing towards the crank :oops: :oops: Ahhh well ,at least I know now .Just looked at the book again .................
Thanks Jon ,sometimes I can't see for looking .I'll find out soon if I have compression back on # 1 .I'm not hopeful .

Hi Lee
Well at least we know why 1 and 5 were on the rock together, and why the rotor was pointing at No 5 when it should have been at No 1. However a great brain teezer, :wink: :wink: Have you confirmed bent valves, as I suspect there are some :cry:
John
1990 GTA Atmo, 2003 Jaguar X type 2.5SE Auto, 2018 Kia Picanto GT-Line-S 1.25
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sun May 25, 2008 5:16 pm

I've got good compression on all but # 1 .So it's either going to come back or not .It's still 180 out on one cam or the other so as Martin said I should have had comp problems with the other 2 ? It may well be I have a separate issue with the valves on # 1 .
Will find out tomorrow .............All on hold now as # 2 son has fallen off the raised patio and taken a chunk out his forehead on the old knackered block I left lying below :cry: Dawn has taken him to A&E ,they are glueing it up :shock:
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Sun May 25, 2008 6:40 pm

good god! hope he will be ok.

prv's are really not your familys things.
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm

clee wrote:I've got good compression on all but # 1 .So it's either going to come back or not .It's still 180 out on one cam or the other so as Martin said I should have had comp problems with the other 2 ? It may well be I have a separate issue with the valves on # 1 .
Will find out tomorrow .............All on hold now as # 2 son has fallen off the raised patio and taken a chunk out his forehead on the old knackered block I left lying below :cry: Dawn has taken him to A&E ,they are glueing it up :shock:

Lee
Firstly, I hope all is well with your son, and he is back home all glued up, and you hav`nt been banished to the garage with no tea :(
But when you get back to working on the car, I have had some thoughts re:- only No 1 no comp. I am 99.9% with Martin on his observation with the pots 2&3, but I think you proved there would be interference between the valves and the pistons with your pics, resulting in bent valves. therefore why are 2&3 not bent resulting in no comp on them. If the chains are still on, I would rotate the engine till 4 is on the rock, and see if 2 or 3, is on the rock, then rotate till 6 is on the rock, and again check 2 & 3. There is a slim chance that they are not, because you have compression on them. It defies logic ,but for peace of mind, worth checking.
John
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:12 am

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon May 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Hope he is OK?

Maybe have a few days off the engine to re-group and start again with a clear head maybe...........
1994 A610 - Montana Red (For Sale)
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Mon May 26, 2008 12:42 pm

Hope he is OK?

Maybe have a few days off the engine to re-group and start again with a clear head maybe...........
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon May 26, 2008 3:12 pm

He's fine .Though he may have a scar 8) :wink:
My engine on the other hand is not .# 1 is totally dead ,all the others are fine :? I can hear/feel the gauge pumping up on all the others and all read 150 psi .So I must have had a problem unrelated to the timing issue .
User

JohnC

Rank

Non Member

Jersey C.I.

Postby JohnC » Thu May 29, 2008 9:02 am

clee wrote:
My engine on the other hand is not .# 1 is totally dead So I must have had a problem unrelated to the timing issue .

Lee
Is it possible that when you rotated the crank with the chains off, to line up the marks, you passed throu TDC where the valve or valves of No.1 were open, due to the stationary camshaft position,......or the other thing, if the crank was on TDC when you turned the camshaft to line up the marks, you may have rotated it just sufficiently to touch the valve or valves of No.1, but insufficiently to touch the valves of 2 and 3. This could be a reason why 2 and 3 are unaffected.
John
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 29, 2008 9:10 am

Hi Jon ,yes I reckon I must have touched a valve unless there's a piece of shite lying under .All ready to pull it out but my proper job is getting in the way again :roll: :wink:
User

Stunned Monkey

Rank

Non Member

Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:24 am

Nr Chippenham, Wiltshire

Postby Stunned Monkey » Thu May 29, 2008 10:30 am

JohnC wrote:Is it possible that when you rotated the crank with the chains off, to line up the marks, you passed throu TDC where the valve or valves of No.1 were open, due to the stationary camshaft position,......or the other thing, if the crank was on TDC when you turned the camshaft to line up the marks, you may have rotated it just sufficiently to touch the valve or valves of No.1, but insufficiently to touch the valves of 2 and 3. This could be a reason why 2 and 3 are unaffected.
John

You can bend valves just by having the camshaft in the wrong place when you bolt the head down, if you had #1 at TDC...

I agree bending a valve when timing up is very do-able, although you have to be strong ;)

The way to avoid doing either of the above is to undo all the tappets, then set up the timing. Do this with the spark plugs out otherwise you get a lot of compression on lots of cylinders at the same time!
Martin - PRV Tinkerererer
www.delorean.co.uk
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu May 29, 2008 10:36 am

I always do it with slack tappets .I might get it out this weekend :shock:
User

BIG_MVS

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Sandbach

Postby BIG_MVS » Sat May 31, 2008 8:37 pm

Hey get out of that french cossie and get your gta sorted!! Any luck? :D
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:58 am

No gaskets ....................Le Cossie is running too much booooost as well .I can't wind the bleed valve in any more and it's still spiking to 25lbs :shock: WOT it seems to settle at 21, that's still too much . I need to get rid of the valve .
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:10 pm

Well as least it's obvious :lol:
# 1 inlet and # 5 exhaust have clashed .You can see the mating marks very clearly .1 is open 0.010" but can't get anything in 5 .
I'm going to do both though then comp check by putting a bellhousing and starter on before it goes back in .Anyone got a rotten sub-frame I can have for a test bed please ???
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:53 am

full marks on how clean it all looks.............

.......now, just to stop those valves touching :?
PreviousNext

• Advertisement