User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Clutch problems

Postby peterg » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:50 pm

I have collected my Alpine (GTA Turbo) today and have had clutch problems. I spoke to Stephen (Dell) on the phone to find out the rough cost of a new clutch, which the seller has now offered to contribute towards. He has however suggested it might be the slave cylinder. The clutch didnt slip, and still doesnt once in gear, it just became increasingly difficult to select a gear on the way home and ended with me selecting a gear and not being able to use the clutch to stop the car moving forward in the gear selected......if you see what I mean!!!! Any ideas....is it the clutch or could it be the slave cylinder???
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:20 pm

Its sounds very much like the slave cylinder to me. I bought my GTA turbo needing a new clutch and it would not drive in any gear... If it is the clutch, i managed to get hold of one from 'Part-Co' for £89.00. It may sound silly, but have you checked for any leaks or kinks in the hydrolic lines?
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Postby stephendell » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:36 pm

Hi, it sounds like you might be a lucky man. Check the system for leaks & bleed thoroughly first though. You can change the slave cylinder in situ & it will cost a lot less than a new clutch. You can even rebuild it if you are feeling frugal!
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

dam alpine clutches!!!!

Postby simonsays74 » Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:15 pm

what is a valeo clutch kit worth for gta t? i also am having probs with both gta's!!! white car (atmos) needs slave cylinder re-built, while the black car needs a clutch (started slipping in 5th) AND master cylinder! my my arn't gta's a whole lot of fun :lol: !
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Clutch pedal

Postby mitchella » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:33 am

I've noticed that the hole in my clutch pedal where it joins the master cylinder push-rod has become worn. Although it doesn't look like much, I suspect that it may be losing me just enough travel to make gears hard to select sometimes - epsecially reverse. The clutch pedal travels an inch or more before it actually engages the pushrod.

Has anyone else come across this and does it improve gear selection if fixed? or am I "clutching" at straws?
User

Tony Smith

Rank

Non Member

Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:50 pm

Kent

Cause of your problems Simon.

Postby Tony Smith » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:58 am

I think I might know the reasons for your problems Simon - All those doughnuts you keep doiing :)
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Mon May 24, 2004 4:02 pm

Need some advice about this damn clutch again!!!! The garage have replaced the slave cylinder, but cant seem to get the system bled properly. They cant get a pedal. Someone has suggested that the master cylinder might also be faulty. Could this be the case??? The system doesnt appear to have lost any fluid and the brakes work (but arent exactly great) If so how much is a master cylinder likely to set me back?
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Tue May 25, 2004 8:57 am

have they tried an 'eazi bled' system? i think that it is made by gunson.this is the best way of bleeding brakes and clutches. the kit costs about £20 and includes a cap that fits the gta reservior. just make sure to read the instuctions carefully!! 100% success rate, i found it impossible to bleed without it. :lol:
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Tue May 25, 2004 11:36 am

They have tried a hydraulic pressure bleeder and failed. Waiting to see what they are gonna do next!
User

technics

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 04, 2004 10:05 am

Bolton, Near Manchester

Postby technics » Tue May 25, 2004 12:26 pm

Its quite easy really, those kits that "simonsays74" talks about are very good.

They connect onto your spare tyre, all you have to is slowly push and pull the clutch pedal, while a friend loosens the bleed nipple, which is near the oil sump.

You have to let the clutch pedal resoivour fill up first before each downward stroke of the pedal.

We fixed his in no time.
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Tue May 25, 2004 2:40 pm

I could just be crap accumulating in the master cylinder. I had a similar problem on a Metro once where the pedal just sank to the floor but there were no leaks. I thought the seals were away but when I dismantled it, the fluid was contaminated with dirt/rust. I guess it accumulates there because the master cylinder is at the bottom of the circuit. Anyhow - cleaned up the cylinder and ran some clean fluid through the circuit and bled and the pedal was solid again. I reasoned that a bit of dirt must have been trapped between the seal and the cylinder wall and letting the fluid past.
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Tue May 25, 2004 7:39 pm

:? if it's any help peter, i had to keep the 'eazi bled' on for about 10-15 mins for it to bleed through. i did not pump the pedal while bleeding. when i thought all the air was out, i closed up the nipple and then pumped the pedal a few times, then opened the nipple again and that was it. i had replaced the master cylinder a few months before and used the same process. this time i had fitted a rebuilt slave cylinder. hope that helps. :?
User

ben

Rank

Non Member

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:43 pm

Grantham

Postby ben » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:41 am

My clutch was beginning to loose pressure and it turned out to be the master clylinder leaking on the internal seal. Renault supplied the cheapest replacement at £73.00. I could not sorce a seal kit, but thought this price was pretty good price and it only takes one day to get it.

• Advertisement