C.A.R. Do they ignore everyone or is it just me?

Renault & Alpine General Discussion

Moderators: eastlmark, phildini, BIG_MVS, Alpineandy, Test Moderator

User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

C.A.R. Do they ignore everyone or is it just me?

Postby stephendell » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:17 pm

I've been feeling a bit victimised lately, so apologies in advance for what's a bit of a personal rant!!

I've been a fully paid up member of Club Alpine Renault for several years and for some reason they've never printed any item or advertisement I've submitted to the newsletter or magazine.

I sent them a simple request early this year asking them to include my new site as an item of interest for GTA owners or enthusiasts but they have completely ignored me.

Ironically the July newsletter complains of a lack of items for submission and lack of emails generally.

I finally received a reply today around 6 months later but unfortunately it makes no sense to me whatsoever. I also asked Niall (who does their website) if he could make any sense of it and he is equally baffled.

Does anyone else have the same problems & can anyone make any sense of their reply?!

Perhaps it's an automated response that gets sent out automatically?

Please read the sequence of messages below and see what you make of them.

Thanks
Stephen

> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Renault Alpine
> To: clubalpinerenaultuk@hotmail.com
> Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 9:20 PM
> Subject: GTA Website
>
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Please could you mention my website www.renaultalpine.co.uk
> in the next
> newsletter. It's primarily aimed at owners of GTA's & A610's
> but the photos
> from meetings and events may be of interest to other Alpine
> enthusiasts.
> Purists may also access the site via www.alpinerenault.co.uk !!
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

> To: secretary@clubalpinerenault.org.uk
> Cc: Niall McAtasney
> Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 9:54 AM
> Subject: Fw: GTA Website
>
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for the June newsletter which I received yesterday. I
> was however
> disappointed that you had chosen not to include the details of my new
> website (while at the same time apologising for limited
> newsletter content).
> Is there any particular reason for this?
>
> Perhaps you could include it in the magazine instead.
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

> Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2004 11:34 AM
>
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I haven't heard from you. Did you receive my previous message OK?
>
> Thanks
> Stephen

> Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 07:19 PM
>
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> Thanks for the July newsletter.
>
> I was amused to hear that you say your email has been quiet
> of late as I
> have sent several (see below) and have still received no reply?!
>
> Perhaps there are many more members that have sent emails
> that have been
> ignored.
>
> In your own words 'It is surely not too much to expect a few
> lines from you'
> in reply!!
>
> Regards
> Stephen

> From: "Peter Whitehouse" <peter_whitehouse@sandwell.gov.uk>
> To: <mail@renaultalpine.co.uk>
> Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 11:29 AM
> Subject: Re: Fw: GTA Website
>
>
> ** High Priority **
>
> This request will be reported to the next Club Committee
> meeting on 26th
> September together with other issues arising from the
> experience of web site
> operation since it's inception. I will let you now the
> outcome following
> that meeting.
>
> Peter W - Club Secretary
Last edited by stephendell on Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Thu Jul 29, 2004 6:31 pm

Seems a bit bizarre....presumably he is saying that the website is faulty!!!
While I'm on, is there any chance that the Zolder stuff can now be removed from the top of all the forum lists....its long since over and the photos appear in the main section???? It kind of bugs me....although I dont know why :shock: (possibly jealous that I wasnt there....oh well next year!)
no avatar
User

Alpineandy

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:37 am

North Essex

Postby Alpineandy » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:13 pm

I've just renewed my membership. I've had alpines since 1988 but finally joined last year. Haven't got much back for my money yet but thought i'd give it another year just in case this has been a particularly bad year.
And want to do the curborough day (13th Oct).
I'll review my membership next year.
Alpine A110, Renault Safrane 2.5dt, Hudson Kindred Spirit (Renault powered), transAlp (Honda) and Ducati Multistrada
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Jul 29, 2004 9:29 pm

Hi Peter

Announcements removed as requested & it didn't take 4 months and a committee meeting to get it done :wink:
no avatar
User

mikegta

Rank

Non Member

Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:27 am

Bristol way

Postby mikegta » Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:41 pm

Well I tried to join and after a few requests for forms, info or whatever I gave up. Must be a very elite membership.

I now own an Alpine and it is no thanks to them and everything to do with this site.

Mike
User

Wrightbr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:31 am

Kent

Postby Wrightbr » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:33 am

I too am getting incresingly fed up with CAR. I have been a member for nine years and have seen the membership fees go up increasingly and not seen a lot more back in return? There seem to be little discounts with manufacturers or insurance complanies ? Also most of the events seem to be based up north and living in the south of the country I did not go to many events.

The CAR website has only now been set up because of this excellent website, which has got them worried. I have only been onto the CAR site a couple of times and most of the links seem to have comming soon on them, little work seems to have been done to it since it was originally set up?

What really done it though was last weekend. I was at the classic Le Mans walking through the paddock with my GTA V6 shirt on when three guys stopped me. They intoduced themselves as the chairman, secretary and sporting secretary of CAR. They said that they were camping down with Renault boys (Renault owners club) in the campsite, and that there were a load of GTAs down there. I was a little annoyed that the clubs main members had gone down to the classic but no meet or anything seemed to have be organised by them? Did anybody else see any meet mentioned? I am getting the feeling that it is who you know that gets you invited to the more elite days out?

I appreciate that the people involved in CAR do this for no money and for the love of Alpines in their spare time, but I am begining to wonder if this website is the way to go? I also have a MKIV supra and I am a member of MKIVSupra.net which is an internet based owners club. They charge £10 a year and it is brilliant, with discounts, regular meets etc.

Well done again Stephen on this site. It is a great way of communicating with other Alpine owners and sharing ideas and resolving problems quickly.

Thanks,
Brad
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:12 pm

Stephen, No need for any apologies from you, even when you feel victimised and wish to air your personal problems :). Your site far outways anthing you may feel in doubt about.

I posted the same Zolder imformation that I found on a continental site way back in May this year, to you and to CAR . Shortly afterwards, your site had 20 tickets available, was promoting this Alpine event (great it was too) and I've still never seen or heard back from CAR.

I too am wondering about my CAR membership renewal. £30 for what ???
www.renaultalpine.co.uk is £0 and loads of chat, tips, gossip, meets and events.

Perhaps the CAR committe is just old and tired and does not know what to do??? They are probably all very nice people in their own rights, but not too interested in GTA Alpines. We also all know that it's hard to please every one and organising events can be a thanksless task. And after all, a lot has changed since the CAR was first formed in 1989.

CAR is as much our club (as paid up members) as any one elses, so perhaps we (GTA/310/610 Alpinists) need to give them a hand in promoting some new and diverse motoring events to attend.

CALL to ACTION: I would suggest that we all write to CAR and let them know about the Alpine events we have been to recently (or wished we had been able to get to) and what we want from CAR.
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
User

peterg

Rank

Non Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:26 pm

Cumbria

Postby peterg » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:05 pm

Wrightbr.....most CAR events in the North??? I just had contact with a member who said all the events were in the South!!!! We both live in Cumbria.....perhaps you classify the Midlands as North and he classes them as South?????? Either way it all seems very expensive for not a lot of gain. Does anyone have anything good to say??? Are there any benefits for someone like me....living in the far North who is already in an excellent motorclub that runs an active motorsport program??? (not forgetting this website that has proved invaluable)
User

Wrightbr

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:31 am

Kent

Postby Wrightbr » Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:10 am

Peter G. Living in the far South, even London is up North for me :wink:
User

simonsays74

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Belfast (££££ Zone!!)

Postby simonsays74 » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:23 pm

thats all well and good, but spare a thought for the few members on the emerald isle!
i think that this site is fantastic and that maybe ireland could have a meeting of its own due to the contacts made on this site.
no avatar
User

LeMans24

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 04, 2004 7:52 am

Postby LeMans24 » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:14 pm

simontaylor wrote:CAR is as much our club (as paid up members) as any one elses, so perhaps we (GTA/310/610 Alpinists) need to give them a hand in promoting some new and diverse motoring events to attend.

CALL to ACTION: I would suggest that we all write to CAR and let them know about the Alpine events we have been to recently (or wished we had been able to get to) and what we want from CAR.

Hi Simon

I agree. I'm happy to promote ANY Alpine event on the CAR site regardless of who's organising it. Just send me an email and I'll add it to the list.

In response to the Classic Le Mans event, it was listed on the Events page on the CAR site and there was also a topic on the forum asking if anyone else was going and suggesting we meet up. Sorry if you missed it. I was there too and it was a great weekend.

I agree with a lot of what's been said on this site (which is excellent, Stephen) and would gladly help in trying to make the benefits of CAR membership more attractive. However I would suggest that the best way to change things is by using the club forum. Threads posted on that area will be visible to committee members and would get raised at meetings.

I say change from within. If that fails let's go :twisted:

Niall
User

stephendell

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

London

Postby stephendell » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:26 pm

I should add that Niall (CAR webmaster) and Andrew (CAR GTA registrar) ALWAYS reply to my messages and are always very helpful.

It seems to be those higher up the ladder who put up the barriers.

I think it's crazy that a simple request to publish a member's short 3 line letter in the newsletter or magazine needs referral to a committee meeting!
User

simontaylor

Rank

Club Member

Club Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm

Fleet, Hampshire

Postby simontaylor » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:36 am

Stephen,

I found a disguised link on the CAR site to this one.

Under links, Alpine sites, Renault Alpine GTA 610.

May be it would be better if it were in the "Club sites" sub-section???

Simon
1986 : '86 GTA v6 BW-EFR turbo, with Adaptronic ECU
Firsts at
2007 : Gurston Down & RAOC Champion
2008 : Rushmoor & Eelmoor & ACSMC Hillclimb class Champion
2009 : Longcross & Eelmoor
2010 : Crystal Palace & Eelmoor
2016 : Rushmoor & 5th O/A
no avatar
User

LeMans24

Rank

Non Member

Tue May 04, 2004 7:52 am

Postby LeMans24 » Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:49 pm

simontaylor wrote:Stephen,

I found a disguised link on the CAR site to this one.

Under links, Alpine sites, Renault Alpine GTA 610.

May be it would be better if it were in the "Club sites" sub-section???

Simon

It's not intended to be "disguised"

Stephen, let me know what it should say and where it should go and I'll change it.

Niall

• Advertisement