User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Fri May 28, 2004 11:58 am

Derbyshire

Stalls when cold, will not restart

Postby clee » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:16 pm

From a cold start my car has always stalled & refused to start again for up to 30 mins then fires up no problem.Consequently I have to keep the revs up for 5 mins which can be a bit of a pain if your braking ! This only happens when the car is in motion ,if i leave it to warm up on it's own all is OK.Any ideas :?:
User

mitchella

Rank

Non Member

Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 am

Penicuik, Scotland

Postby mitchella » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:20 pm

Mine is similarly easy to stall when cold and sometimes I have difficulty starting again but I've always managed to get it going eventually (i.e. a matter of a few attempts rather than 30 minutes). I've assumed that it is running over rich when cold and just floods itself and that is why it doesn't start too easily.

Does the car just fall off the rev counter when you dip the clutch to slow down or does it fail to pick up when you try to move away? If it is not idling properly when on the move then it may be a loose connection to the idle speed control valve - you should be able to simulate that by wiggling the wiring. It would probably be worth having a quick wiggle of all the wiring going to sensors just in case there's a dodgy joint, although I'd expect the engine management light to flicker if it was a broken wire - probably more likely just to be a dirty connector causing a false reading.

Perhaps the only real way to find out is to take up David Gentleman on his offer to hire out his new engine analyser and see exactly what the sensors are telling the ECU and what it is telling the ignition and injectors to do.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:43 pm

Yeh, revs just drop right off when I hit the clutch ( a bit of toe 'n' heel is required to keep it running ).Don't think it's loose wiring as it's fine at all other times & it only seems to last for a few mins from dead cold.I did once have a complete cutout whilst doing 60 & it would not restart for some time ,but again that was after only a couple of mins from cold.My previous GTA did the same as you describe but this one will not restart for ages.
User

David Gentleman

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:10 am

Colchester, Essex

solutions??

Postby David Gentleman » Fri Jul 02, 2004 6:47 pm

Unplug and remove the idle speed control valve, clean the connector, and flush the inside of the valve with brake cleaner. They often get gunged up with dirt which makes the solenoid inside stick closed, and voila...no idle. Does is more from cold, because once a fait bit of boosted air has run through it it loosens up.

Or... Can be crap in the vacuum pipe leading to the map sensor. Remove and clean out.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:42 am

Cheers David ,I'll give that a go.
User

clee

Rank

Non Member

Derbyshire

Postby clee » Sat Jul 03, 2004 1:21 pm

Well done David 8) .Just cleaned the valve assembly ,it was pretty gunky and not free moving.Taken it round the block & it now keeps the revs.One pint on it's way. :D

• Advertisement