Club Member

Club Member

Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:25 pm

London

Merry Christmas

Postby stephendell » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:03 am

Merry Christmas Everyone

1C99CE25-845D-4CCA-812C-746FBEAA436D.jpeg

Have the best day you can under the circumstances!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Trafic, Twingo GT, Vel Satis Turbo x 2, Clio V6 Proto Ph2, Vel Satis 3.5, Avantime, Alpine A610, GTA Atmo x 3, GTA Turbo x 3, R5 Gordini Turbo Mid Engine, Alpine A310 4cyl, Alpine A110, Yellow Smart
no avatar
User

TONY LAW

Rank

Non Member

Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:45 pm

Essex

Re: Merry Christmas

Postby TONY LAW » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:53 am

Merry Christmas and all the best for 2021.
Cheers Tony
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:13 am

Merry Christmas to all...now that Hampshire is in Tier 4 I'm not sure what January is going to bring.

Just as well I had my A610 engine rebuilt by John Law at JL Engineering...at least I can get a few days out in the Yellow Peril.....!

Cheers, Barry.

IMG-20201009-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20201026-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20201026-WA0002.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:36 pm

Happy Christmas everybody.

What was the reason for the rebuild Barry?
I'm just here for the gasoline.
User

Bazzer501

Rank

Non Member

Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:04 pm

Barton Stacey, Hampshire

Postby Bazzer501 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:26 am

Hi Darren,
The rebuild was initially because of cylinder head gasket failure on one of the cylinder banks but subsequently it was found that two of the cylinder liner seals had also failed so it was an engine out and complete rebuild job.

I had been having problems for months with the coolant hose at the bottom of the expansion bottle leaking which seemed odd at the time. Cooling wise within the last two years I had replaced the radiator, heater matrix, complete set of silicone hoses, expansion bottle and cap. Last thing was a new thermostat from Simon Auto in Germany, in case this was faulty and new Renault Type D coolant.
What happened was I took my A610 to D&D motors, my local independent Renault garage in Andover, they changed the thermostat, drained filled then bled the system and all seemed fine. A few days later went for a long 30 miles plus drive, all was fine. That afternoon I drove into Andover to do some supermarket shopping, came out about an hour later, started up the car and there was plumes of steamy smoke coming from the exhaust pipes. Switched off then restarted, exactly the same. Checked the coolant bottle, it was empty. D&D Motors was literally 5 mins from the supermarket so I drove there and Kevan, the owner said it's F@@@ed, definitely cylinder head/cylinder liner seal failure. Funnily enough Kevan had suggested it could be the beginnings of cylinder head gasket failure or similar some weeks earlier when we had been discussing the problem.

I'm insured with Carole Nash and have UK & Continental breakdown as part of my policy. I phoned them and, much to my relief they arranged for a low loader to collect my car and take it to JL Engineering when it was finally sorted. Bit of a saga but now its been rebuilt it fells like a totally different car, so much quicker, responsive so very happy with the end result...cheers, Barry.
Yellow 1993 Alpine Renault A610
User

darrenbiggs

Rank

Non Member

Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:03 pm

Horley - Nr Gatwick

Postby darrenbiggs » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Good stuff, glad to hear you got it sorted. I remember the expansion tank issues, guess it was slightly breached and over-pressuring the system.

With all the work, new rad etc should be good for the long term now. I've got a new rad to put on mine at some point. Not urgent, just an efficiency gain hopefully by changing to aluminium. Hopefully we can all meet up at some point in a 2021 post covid world.
I'm just here for the gasoline.

• Advertisement